I have a very simple workflow: when a record is created and meets a few conditions, an email fires off to an inbox.
90% of the time, the email fires within 5mins. The other 10% of the time, it takes any where from 10mins to an hour for the email to send. The info being input into the records is time sensitive, so customer is not a fan of the lag time.
Anyone else having this issue? Any way to correct?
Thanks for the reply!
Never know where to post questions. I am using Sharepoint Online.
Very simple Workflow with no pauses (I've attached).
I do have the external emails option selected, but only for the reason of displaying a particular Sender name. So the alert isn't actually sending to an external email.