Serial Task Ordering Issue

Badge +8

Oftentimes, when initiating an approval process via a Nintex form, I will use a people picker control to allow end-users to include additional "Ad Hoc" reviewers/approvers (see sample below).

1093i866F60F02EE963F8.png

In my current use case, the approvers that are included in this way are bound to a Start a Task Process action within my workflow. The "assignment behavior" for this task is Serial (one at a time).

The Issue:

Nintex is not honoring the order in which these approvers are added to the people picker. As you can see from the above screenshot, my approvers were entered in the following order WF4test4, WF3test3, WF2test2, WF1test1. SharePoint also reflects this order properly within the list view and info pane:

1094i95D125CB8DB553D1.png

Despite this, when the workflow executes, approvers are being sent each serial task in what appears to be alphabetical order. Has this limitation always existed or is this a bug?

From workflow history, you can see this order being executed incorrectly (see below). The first task should be assigned to WF4test4, but instead, the first task is being assigned to WF1test1. You'll also notice that when this people picker field is output to the log it's incorrectly ordered as well:

1095iD67CE6687B2EC3B7.png

2 replies

Badge +9

Hi Patrick,

It would be interesting to see if retrieving this field value via the SPO REST API shows your order or the order the workflow is using.

When the workflow looks up that field it will be done by the REST API so if it returns them in a different order it may mean that your ordering is not available to the workflow.

Callum

Badge +8

Hey @callum — thanks for the suggestion! After doing a quick test, the approvers come back in the appropriate order via REST. Here's my query:

https://someTenant.sharepoint.com/sites/someSite/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('TEST')/items(2)?$select=Title,TestApprovers/Name,TestApprovers/Title&$expand=TestApprovers/Id

So it's likely something Nintex is doing downstream of the query. REST brings them back in the order they were entered, but Nintex doesn't log them or assign them in the correct order once in the workflow. I submitted a support ticket on this one so I'll let you know what I find out!

Thanks,

Patrick