Office 365 Workflow Not Starting Automatically

• 12 August 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

Hello,

I have two lists - List A and List B.  Both lists have workflows configured so that they will start automatically when a new item is created.  If I click the New button and create a list item this works as expected  on both lists (the workflow starts).

However - the workflow on List A has a step where it creates an item in List B.  The creation of the item works as expected but the workflow on List B never starts.

Anyone have any thoughts about why the workflow on List B starts when you create the item manually but not when the item is created by a workflow?

Thanks,

Matt

4 replies

Badge +9

Try to include a pause of some duration or add a filter condition on the ListB to run the workflow only when ID is not null

Badge +9

This is as expected.

Workflows start on user actions not system actions. Nintex creating a list item in another list is a system action and therefore doesn't fire off the workflow on that list.

Simple to implement a "Start Workflow" action after the create list item action, have the create item stored to ID it just created as a variable and use that in the Start Workflow action as the item ID.

Badge +9

On the onpremise version.I am able to trigger the workflow on both the lists but I am not using system account."Create Item" action triggered workflows on both the lists

Badge +9

Yes on-premise there is a farm setting you can configure to start workflows on system actions.