Not applicable

Office 365 Update Item Permissions and Workflow Item Context

Hi,

This question applies to Nintex Workflow for Office 365.

We have a customer requirement where the permissions of a document within a document library needs to be set to a specific value based on the document metadata.

Everything works well otherwise using the 'Office 365 Update Item Permissions' application, but I am unable to restrict the item to be updated to the current item within the workflow context. The only variable within the Workflow Context related to the current item seems to be the 'Current item URL', but attempts to match this to any existing column (such as ServerUrl, FileRef or _SourceUrl) fail (the workflow is suspended with 'no items to update').

Is there any way of achieving this? Any alternative solutions to solve the issue at hand are also greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Henrik Blåfield

Blue Meteorite

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Office 365 Update Item Permissions and Workflow Item Context

In case anyone is wondering, this is now solved. The simple ID = {Current Item:ID} resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
jblasco
Rookie

Hi Henrik Blåfield​,

I guess you write ID = {Current Item:ID} in "Items to update", but, what do you write in "Destination site URL" and "Sharepoint Online URL"?

Thanks!

Not applicable

Hi Jorge,

for "destination site URL" you can use "Current site URL" from the Workflow Context menu. It should read as {Workflow Context:Current site URL}. Same with "List name", but instead of "Current Site URL" you'll have to select "List Name".

As for "SharePoint online URL", you'll have to put the root URL of your SharePoint Online instance there, something like https://<yourvalue>.sharepoint.com.

Hth

Timo

harfmt
Contributor

Still having a problem understanding this solution.Is the solution to have the Current Item: ID to equal the Current Item: ID? Why can't it just be the current item.. full stop?

And why do I have to have two Item Permission Actions. One to target Individual Users and one to target groups? 

And why do I also have to have multiple Item Permission Actions to set each permission type? When previously I could do it all from the same action. So for the single action below I will have to have three different actions plus the separate actions for single user and group. 

scottshattuck
Novice

I'm not sure about the last couple questions - but to reply to  your first question, instead of this:

You actually do this:

This is because the first field ("Update the items when column") is actually asking for the NAME of the column you're wanting to compare (and if you put {Current Item:ID} then it'll search for a column in the list with the name of "12" for example, or whatever the current item ID is, which doesn't exist), and then it sorts through that column to find the item that's equal to the {Current Item:ID}, because you've put {Current Item:ID} in the second field. That's how it knows which item to update permissions on. This took me a while to figure out, I was doing what is shown in the first image here for a while and wondering why it wasn't working.

Hope this helps!

Not applicable

Thanks for selecting a correct answer!

Frank

Your community manager

0 Kudos
kiran_bellala
Novice

On premises Nintex has an activity Set Permissions on "Current Item". 365 does not have this.

Please bring this to Nintex Office 365. ‌ @

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Please feel free to see if it's requested on Customer Feedback for Nintex , and vote it up if it is, ‌. Always good to prod the product managers to move the product in a direction you want.

0 Kudos