Nintex Forms

Good Afternoon, I am not sure if i have done this correctly or if I should have done something different.  I have basically been tasked with what seems to be impossible, but I like a challenge.  I have a form which is currently in hard copy only, we are trying to go electronically with it but I am already seeing obstacles.  I use SharePoint 365 which has the Nintex 365 Workflow and Forms.  I uploaded the Nintex 365 form and created a carbon copy of our said form in Nintex 365 Form designer.  A bit of background to the form is that it comes in 5 sections.

Section 1 - Modification Details - Employee shall enter a number of items into the form, once section 1 is completed it should then send out to department function heads (4 of)

Section 2 - Formal Review & Approval - Department heads shall comment and make recommendations 

Section 3 - Checklist - Department heads shall check off all factors of the modification, then a notification should be sent to Employee originator stating department heads have completed form sections 2 & 3.

Section 4 - Pre Start Review - Operation Training to marked as complete and Plant Manager approval

Section 5 - Recording & Close Out - Employee to complete which involves documentation and recording before submit for final approval.  At the end of the section 5 a final approval is to be checked/signed then a copy distributed to the function heads.

Now I have already built the form, i have tried my best to self teach by searching on here but it seems to keep pointing answers and searches to the older version of Nintex Forms and Workflow instead of the 365 versions.  

So I suppose I am looking some pointers:

1 - Bearing in mind I have already built the form, is it possible to add in 'submit for review' tabs/button at Section 2 to put out to the heads.

2 - After the heads have reviewed & completed 3 & 4, can the Operations & Plant Manager be notified its completed?

3 - Once plant manager & ops have approved set up a workflow to progress to close out?

4 - Once employee has recorded all info and final approval by head is completed a final notification is sent to department heads.

Any tips would be appreciated?

N

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Neil,

You are on the right track with your solution from the sound of it. One thing to keep in mind as you make your journey into Nintex land is that you should try to keep your business logic out of your forms as much as possible (and in your workflow instead). That said, I would tackle your problem by implementing a state machine in your workflow. When your form is initially submitted it should kick off the workflow and be at the first state of the workflow (where it collects the first approval). Once you have the first approval you can have the workflow update a field on the list that would be reflected on your form. You can then have folks enter their required bits on the form as the workflow progresses from state to state.

This article has more info on state machines ( ignore the fact that it is on-prem, the concept is the same):  

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Aaron

Thank you Aaron I will take a look at the State Machine workflow and give it a crack

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sounds good, feel free to drop any other questions you have.

Aaron 

One thing that strikes me as I was building the workflow (still to complete but should be done on Monday) is it possible to have more than one workflow working in the form.  I have set the state machine workflow to have the 4 department heads, but how do I get the workflow to email back to the originator, bearing in mind the originator shall be different every time.

Also the workflow requires me to enter the 4 heads at the workflow building stage, in reality if this works out at my site it will be used at all our locations so again the workflow would need to recognise the heads from the form rather than the workflow.  I hope this make sense.

N