LoveNintex
Scholar

Lookup Function based on 3 (or multiple) Values

I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask the question to see if anyone has any ideas.

In a New Responsive form, I am trying to set the value of a Variable based on the Lookup() function.  I am looking up the value from a list based on 3 values.  However, the Lookup() function allows for only 1 Filter Value.  In the past, I have created a column in the Lookup List that concatenated the 3 values, and passed the concatenated Filter Value in the Lookup() function and that worked great.  However, the Lookup list I am using this time is updated daily, so if I add a column today, it will be gone tomorrow.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can accomplish Looking up a value based on 3 values?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MegaJerk
Collaborator

Re: Lookup Function based on 3 (or multiple) Values

You're correct about the lookup runtime-function working that way (single filter values only), however to be able to give an answer / work-around, I'd like to know a little more. 

Does this concern 2 different lists? That is, if you're Lookup Control is pointed to List A, will this other lookup be done to List B using the values from List A's Lookup Control as a filter, or are you just trying to get a different column's information that is ALSO on List A? 

I think if you can answer this for me, then I should be able to work up some sort of example. 

0 Kudos
LoveNintex
Scholar

Thanks for your response. 

The form is on a list called "Employee Data"

There is only 1 Lookup list called "Salary Steps"

The form has 3 controls - CurrentSalaryStep, CurrentGrade, and CurrentAdminPlan 

The "Salary Steps" list has columns [Salary Step], [Grade], [Admin Plan].  Based on these 3 columns, I can pull [Hourly Rate Current], [Hourly Range From], [Hourly Range To].

Does that help?

0 Kudos
MegaJerk
Collaborator

would I be correct in saying that the Salary Steps list looks something like this mockup, where it's populated with every combination of [Salary Step], [Grade], and [Admin Plan], and the corresponding Hourly info per row? 

MegaJerk_0-1651603068379.png

0 Kudos
LoveNintex
Scholar

Yes, pretty much.  Sorry, I should have explained better.  Each Salary Plan will have multiple Grades.  And each Grade will have multiple Steps.  As you demonstrated, each Salary plan/grade/step will have Rate, Range From, Range To.

0 Kudos
LoveNintex
Scholar

Here is example data:

LoveNintex_0-1651631381708.png

0 Kudos
MegaJerk
Collaborator

One more question. Are the controls that are giving you the filter values (for Admin Plan / Grade / Step) Lookup Controls or are they just Choice Controls? 

0 Kudos
LoveNintex
Scholar

[Admin Plan] and [Grade] are stored in variables (which were previously picked up by other Lookups) and [Step] is a form control input by the user, which is also stored into a variable.  

0 Kudos
MegaJerk
Collaborator

but all three controls are on the form in question yes? 

Admin Plan / Grade as Lookup Controls and the last one (Step) as what? A Choice, or a Single Line Text? 

0 Kudos
LoveNintex
Scholar

Yes, all 3 are on the form.  All 3 are single line text. 

0 Kudos