Solved

Issue with the "Start a Task Process" action creating individual tasks

Badge +8

I have used the "start a task process" action a number of times when needing to utilize parallel tasks for a group of people. Oftentimes I'm wanting to assign a task to each member of the group and then allow the first responder to determine the workflows next step (approve/reject).

However, for whatever reason when working with the action today, I cannot seem to get the assigned tasks to be broken out for each member of the group (thus notifying each member). Is this an issue with the current build or perhaps I'm just missing something simple here?

I am manually setting the group value to the participants setting to ensure that it's not a variable parsing issue:

I'm also making sure that the "Assign a task to each member within groups" is checked.

I also held my mouth right, said a few Hail Marys, and burnt some incense for good measure. Any ideas? With the above configuration, I still cannot get individual tasks to be created for the group members:

icon

Best answer by patrickabel 22 May 2017, 23:39

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And what if you re-publish the workflow?

Badge +8

Hey Tomasz Poszytek,

Thanks for the quick reply! I've re-published a few times actually. I even created and configured a new Start a Task Process action in case my existing one had been corrupted (this happens on Query List actions periodically).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried to create a new workflow, just to confirm it is not the case?

This is really weird, even more because, as you wrote, until today it was working just fine

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +8

Haha my thoughts exactly Tomasz Poszytek! In fact, I have several other clients leveraging this action for existing processes, so I'm hoping this is an isolated case and not something far reaching.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll create a new workflow both in my client's tenant as well as my DEV tenant and check back. Thanks!

Badge +8

Tomasz Poszytek‌ the same action, configuration, and security group within a new workflow worked just fine. So with this knowledge, I did some additional digging and think I've gotten to the root cause. I'm running this action within a App Step action (elevated permissions).

When the "start a task process" action is within an App Step action, the "Assign a task to each member within groups" setting is not honored. Without the App Step action wrapper, the action works just fine.

‌ This looks like a bug, should I submit a ticket on this?

Badge +8

Thanks ‌ – I've submitted a Nintex support ticket on this finding and will follow-up once resolved. Thanks!

Badge +8

I've heard back from the Nintex Support team (they were extremely fast) and the issue I'm seeing is due to how the app model interacts with Sharepoint Online

If the SP Security Group being used for the task assignment is configured such that "Everyone" can view group membership then the tasks are created for each individual member without a problem (inside the App Step action).

Not ideal, but I think this workaround will suffice for my current use-case. Can someone mark this answer correct – I think we've reached the bottom of this nuance . Thanks!

Badge +3

Great, good to know that Patrick.

I do have a question, can we have multiple task outcome using stat a task process?

ENFORSED -- TO BE REVISED -- REJECTED

thanks in advance.

regards