Solved

How to parse excel data to SharePoint list items using Nintex workflow office 365

• 9 March 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

When the user upload excel document to a library , a workflow has to be triggered. Workflow need to query Excel document data and parse the data to SharePoint list to create list items. So how to create SharePoint list items from excel document data ?

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 11 May 2017, 23:24

View original

7 replies

Badge +8

Hi Vamshi Budarapu‌,

Go through this link Query Excel Services, it talks about retrieve data from a Microsoft Excel workbook via Excel Services using Nintex Workflow Action. Check it for Office 365.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yay, it would be really good to have Excel Services in O365, but unfortunately this is not present here.

So from what I know you are not able to do that UNLESS you save your Excel file as a CSV, then you can use REST API to take file contents and using Regular Expression action split it into collections, and then looping create items.

But as long as it is a regular XLSX file (so a package of other files) you are not able to do that using OOTB tools and actions.

Regards,

Tomasz

Is there anything on the roadmap or any other way that you are aware of to Query spreadsheets for data in an Online environment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nothing I'm aware of. Keep in mind that in on-premise env. Nintex was also not directly supporting it. This feature was delivered by the SharePoint Excel Services. This mechanism is not present in Office 365 - SharePoint Online.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Allright - this is not possible in Nintex "online" products, but it seems it is feasible with the Microsoft Flow. I haven' tried it yet, but there is a set of actions to work with the Excel file:

So you can try to simply call a Flow workflow out of your Nintex workflow, and then the Flow will do the rest.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I wrote a blog post about it:  

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Tomasz

Certainly not what I was hoping to hear, but I really appreciate the response and the suggested work around.  I am not comfortable with Flow yet in a corporate environment until they add in some better management and collaboration tools.  I will investigate though.  Thank you very much