Nintex forms 2013 how to remove contents of a cell

• 13 April 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Currently I have a repeating table with lookups to other lists.   On occasion someone may need to manually enter a value that does not exist in the drop down list.   Currently I added an entry called "AddNew" and a rule that opens up an addition single line of text that allows the user to then enter the value.   I then used a calculated column to capture the value of these two particular cells that way I can easily parse the xml in the workflow later.

For example  "lookup1" is my field which refers to another list.   If lookup1=AddNew then I show the "manual1" field on my repeating section.   Then I have a calculated field called "calc1" which has the formula lookup1+manual1.   Then in the workflow I grab this value from the xml among the other fields in my repeater. 

What is the easiest way to remove the AddNew value from showing in my calculated field?    I previously had a check box to open the text entry field but people kept leaving items in the drop down list and these would show in the workflow hence the change to the picking up a field from the drop down list.

Would like to add something along the lines of IF lookup1=AddNew then lookup1=" "

suggestions?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Then I have a calculated field called "calc1" which has the formula lookup1+manual1.

What is the easiest way to remove the AddNew value from showing in my calculated field?

Would like to add something along the lines of IF lookup1=AddNew then lookup1=" "

these three statements sounds to me to be contradicting...

if you do not want to show content of lookup dropdown in calculated value why do you then  add it there?

or do you want to clear lookup dropdown (acc. your lookup1="") after it is selected and text box shown?

then you again can not use it in formula since when you clear it the formala will be recalculated once again with empty value of lookup or "please select..."  value?

do you need those recalculations at all?

I guess you process new values so that you add them to the lookup list by the workflow. then you as well need to update repeating section XML to replace former AddNew values of dropdown lookup to the new lookup item, don't you?

so I guess AddNew text is only visible just within form that introduces new lookup item.

reg. your logic to identify new dropdown items by presence of AddNew text in calculated field: I think you do not need the calculation at all. you can do the decision by lookup value just the same way. only difference is you will get a lookup item ID instead of AddNew text.

Badge +2

Sorry..  guess I was incomplete.   The reason I was using the calc is because I am using the information to build a table I send out via email in the workflow.  I am not sure of another way to display information in a column on a table.   for example

Table

column 1 | column 2 | column 3

column1 would be information from lookup1.   If information exists in manual1 this would need to be displayed in column1 instead of the information from lookup1.   I am not sure how to do that when i am not sure where the information would be coming from.   To get around this i used a calculated field and did lookup1+manual1 and used the results of this as the value for column1 in my table.

Hope this makes more sense.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

but you build the table in workflow, so you can easily check (set a condition action) both lookup value (AddNew?) and text field value (empty or not) and decide which one to use.

you haven't clarified how do you deal with new lookup items, however I would process it first the way I described above and just then do the other logic (like building table). that way the other logic would be just the same regardless of how did you received lookup value.