Creating a Reusable Workflow Attached to a Content Type in Office 365

• 20 June 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

We are exclusively on Office 365 and one of the primary requirements we have is to build workflows that are associated to a Content Type.

There are several lists (20 to 30) using a single content type and the workflow should run on all the lists associated with this content type.  Currently, the only available solution is SharePoint 2010 Designer reusable workflow. Microsoft Flow can also not do this.  I was hoping Nintex would bridge this gap but am disappointed to find out that it doesn't either.  

Is there a reason why Microsoft or Nintex is not implementing this on the cloud version?  That is a serious loss of functionality for us and I am seeking alternatives if so.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

On sharepoint online, you can't add a workflow on a content type. Workflow Manager does not allow it (Between 2010 and 2013/Online, it's not the same workflow service, that why in online you can't create a workflow on a content type)

But with Nintex, you can Design your workflow in a list with this content type. After you can export this workflow (it will generate a .NWP file).

On the other list, you can simply import this workflow and publish it.

If you don't want to do it manualy, you can check the Nintex API to export/import your workflow https://help.nintex.com/en-US/sdks/sdko365/Walkthroughs/WK_NAV_O365API.htm

Or an other solution, you can create a "component workflow" and just call it in a workflow on all you list., but be carefull with you nintex licence (number of our workflow on your tenant)

Badge +2

Thanks Nico.  Unfortunately none of that will work as we have several lists and implementing individual workflow for each list is not practical.  

I will definitely try the template approach when there are not that many lists using the same content type.