Creating a new BlackPearl Workflow

Badge +6

Dear all,

I'm new to blakPearl and i use to work on k2.net2003. When we was working on k2.net 2003, we was able to create the k2 processes in K2 studio and then we was programing the K2 Tasks (as Web Pages) in visual studion 2005, then we used the K2 ROM object to communicate with K2 Processes.

Now in BlackPearl it is a little bit strange. I need to create a workflow (process) and then i need to autogenerate the forms that will be used by the users in the WorkSpace to interact to the workflow.

Please i need to have a step by step Giud to see how we can use BlackPearl to autogenerate the Forms with the required fields. 

I don't want to integrate K2 with anyother third Party (SharePoint or any thing similar)

Thanks a lot

11 replies

Badge +4

blackpearl provides very basic form generation capabilites. To use them, you open Visual Studio 2005 and create a new K2 project and process and start creating your workflow very similarly to how you did in 2003. For activities in the workflow where you require user input you would drag on the "Forms Generation Client Event" item from the toolbox. This will launch a wizard which allows you to specify:

• Workflow data the user sees on the generated form (from Data Fields, XML Fields, or Smart Objects)
  • Actions/Outcomes (this becomes a dropdown from which the user can choose their desired action)
  • Destinations, etc.

This wizard actually generates an .aspx page and you can go to the file system and edit this page afterward in order to tweak the layout, etc.

Hope that helps.

Badge +11
If you want to create your own ASPX pages there are some good examples in the Developer's reference and here in the blackmarket section of underground.
Badge +9

When it comes to UI, you can still do things in a similar fashion to K2.net 2003.  FYI, K2ROM has been replaced with SourceCode.Workflow.Client.  If you where familiar with K2ROM, should have very little difficulty transitioning to SourceCode.Workflow.Client; it is very similar. 

None the less, the Developers Reference, as suggested by David, is a good place to start.

Badge +6

Thanks a lot guys for all your help , i will be searching the developer reference to get some examples and tutorials and i will be back here if i have any difficulty.

My problem is that i want to create an Interface without writing any line of code, this is the challenge, I'm a developer but the client is not and he wants to modify the workflow and the UI himself without writing any line of code. So i have to provide him the nessecary knowledge that would let him do so.

I will be working on this topic today with the help of developer reference and the BalckMarket, and i will see what will happen.

Best Regards,

GMK

Badge +11
If the requirement is to  write the UI without any code, then you will definitely want to check out the Forms Generation Client Event.  If it is an option, you could also use InfoPath.
Badge +6

Writing Forms Visually with just using some drag and drop controls or auto generated controls following to some requirements set in a visual GUI is a necessity since the Client wants to change his workflow and don't want to write Code since he does't know how to write code.

So i would need to use  the " Forms Generation Client Event ", What i would like to ask if there are any tutorial or example or help document that Giudes me on how i can create the Auto generated web forms.

Thanks 

GMK

Badge +6

After Preforming some search and studies, i would like to know just one more thing.

Is it possible to have a full K2 Application, with a complete Business Workflow with k2 balckpearl and k2 workspace and VS 2005 without being obliged to use any other tool (as sharepoint, infopath or anything else)??

Thanks a lot.

GMK

Badge +4
icon-quote.gifgmk51080:

After Preforming some search and studies, i would like to know just one more thing.

Is it possible to have a full K2 Application, with a complete Business Workflow with k2 balckpearl and k2 workspace and VS 2005 without being obliged to use any other tool (as sharepoint, infopath or anything else)??

It is possible, but it really depends on what the workflow does and what sort of input you require from the end user. If by using VS 2005 you mean using it to develop a UI in ASP.NET then the answer is yes, those are all the tools you need. If you mean using VS 2005 just to create the workflow without any UI work and depending on the forms generation event wizard for all human input, then only very basic workflows are possible and user input is limited primarily to actioning an activity. That's assuming you require human input, if your workflow doesn't require human input, then you don't need any other tool to create very complex workflows.

Popular interfaces for blackpearl are: SharePoint, WSS, InfoPath and ASP.NET forms.

Badge +11
The forms generation event does have the capability to display data from SmartObjects and viewupdate workflow data fields.  It doesn't provide the ability to validate user input without writing some code, but if your data validation needs are simple, you could validate the data in the workflow.
Badge +6

Ok, Thanks a lot for your reply, now what i would need from anyone here on this forum to guide me to a certain tutorial in which i can find a step by step example on the Autogenerated Forms by the K2 forms generation event wizard. 

Thanks a lot.

Badge +4
icon-quote.gifgmk51080:

Ok, Thanks a lot for your reply, now what i would need from anyone here on this forum to guide me to a certain tutorial in which i can find a step by step example on the Autogenerated Forms by the K2 forms generation event wizard. 

Thanks a lot.

Create a workflow, create an activity/activities, and drag the wizard into the activity where you require user input. Follow the instructions of the wizard.