Sharepoint Designer Or K2.net studio

• 15 February 2008
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +4

Hi ,

I want know difference between MicroSoft SharePoint Designer and K2.net Studio .If any one have idea on this two workflow tools Please explain.

Regards,

sureshr. 

4 replies

Badge +9

These are two different type of designers.

SharePoint Designer is essentially the next upgrade from FrontPage.  It is used mainly to customize pages in MOSS sites.

K2.net Studio is essentially the design tool used for visually designing processes in K2.

Badge +4

Hi Johnny,

Thank you very much for reply. I want to know some more information about this tools.

As per my knowledge Share point Designer and K2.net Studio both are workflow tools. what are the differences between them functionality wise, means what is the advantage of using k2.net studio instead of share point designer. Please inform me.

Regards,

Sureshr

Badge +9

Hi Suresh, 

I would say SharePoint Designer is used to design simple workflows using WF inside MOSS.  You can do serial or parallel workflows using the designer.  However, more complex user requirements normally need to be done using WF in Visual Studio (which is usually a bit complex to build a full fledge business application).

Also note that MOSS does not do full state management and process insight reporting as what K2 provides.

In K2 Studio, it is relatively simple to design both simple and complex workflows and there are numerous wizards inside which help you automate common tasks such as User interaction, Email notifications, Escalations, SharePoint integration, InfoPath integration, SQL Server data access, calling web services, BizTalk integration, Meridio integration, data manipulation, SalesForce integration, etc.

Of course this is only covering the design experience, K2 provides a full end-to-end solution for building business applications which covers the rapid design and build experience, strong integration capabilities, process insight and optimization capabilities;and a powerful and scalable platform.

I would suggest contacting your local K2 representative for more information as what I have described is only the tip of the iceberg.  However, note that in terms of technology generation, K2 [blackpearl] would be more inline with the .NET 3.0 and MOSS range of technologies as K2 [blackpearl] is built on top of WF and also has significant improvements in MOSS integration to fully leverage the functionality in MOSS.

Badge +4

Hi Johnny,

Once again thanks for reply.Now i got clear idea on designer and K2.net Studio.

Thanks,

Suresh