Error when trying to run process information reports

• 21 August 2008
  • 8 replies

Badge +9

I can run the Process overview report OK
If I then choose a process, the next report runs OK

When I click on a "Process Folio", the report fails, and if I run the report on the server I see the following error:

An error has occurred during report processing.
Query execution failed for data set 'Activity_Instances'.
Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
Exception of type 'SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectException' was thrown.

There is no information in the event log that I can see.

The machine doesn't appear to be running short of memory - it has 2.5gig allocated to it, and I am trying to run the report, and the phyical memory available stays at about 1.5gig.

I get the same error if I view a flow, and then try to view the process properties.

Can anyone help me with why this doesn't work? It is extremely frustrating, as I need to get some information on a process, and this is the only way that I know to do it.

Thanks in advance!

8 replies

Badge +4

Arduk,

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

If not...is this a  standalone machine? Where is your Reporting Services server located? Are there any errors or clues in the Event Log?

Badge +9

Hi Lucas, thanks for getting back to me!

No, I still don't have a resolution to this.

My environment is the following:
MOSS on server A
K2 on Server B
REporting Services on Server B
Databases on Server C

I haven't managed to find anything useful in the event log - in fact there are no entries at all in the Application Event log.

The SQL Server reporting services log has several error messages similar to the following:

w3wp!extensionfactory!8!9/1/2008-08:13:35:: i INFO: A wrapper has been created for the connection to the SOURCECODE data source.
w3wp!extensionfactory!5!9/1/2008-08:13:35:: i INFO: A wrapper has been created for the connection to the SOURCECODE data source.
w3wp!processing!8!9/1/2008-08:13:50:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Query execution failed for data set 'Event_Instances'., ;
 Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Query execution failed for data set 'Event_Instances'. ---> SourceCode.Data.SmartObjectsClient.SODataProviderException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. ---> SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectException: Exception of type 'SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectException' was thrown.
   at SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectClientServer.ExecuteList(SmartObject smartObject)
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SelectParser.ExecuteSOListMethod(DataTable queryTable, SmartListMethod soListMethod, JoinDetails joinDetails, LogicalFilter logicalFilter)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SOUtils.HandleSOError(SOCommand command, SmartObjectException soError)
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SelectParser.ExecuteSOListMethod(DataTable queryTable, SmartListMethod soListMethod, JoinDetails joinDetails, LogicalFilter logicalFilter)
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SelectParser.ExecuteWHERE(ConditionParser whereCondition)
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SelectParser.Parse()
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.SelectParser.get_Data()
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.QueryParser.DoSelect()
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.QueryParser.DoQuery()
   at SourceCode.Data.Common.QueryParser.get_Data()
   at SourceCode.Data.SmartObjectsClient.SODataReader.Initialize()
   at SourceCode.Data.SmartObjectsClient.SODataReader..ctor(SOCommand command, CommandBehavior cmdBehaviour)
   at SourceCode.Data.SmartObjectsClient.SOCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.CommandWrapper.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.RuntimeDataSetNode.RunDataSetQuery()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

This really wasn't very helpful to me, however someone who knows more about this may be able to decipher it?

I would really appreciate any assistance you could give me on this.

Thanks in advance!!

Badge +3
We are getting exactly the same error - really need to get a resolution to this one asap if anyone knows how to fix this!
Badge +9

It is my understanding that this is a known error in 803, and it has been fixed in 807. Unfortunately, I am still waiting to be advised that 807 is not going to cause any problems (I have a lot of processes using Forms services), so I haven't been able to upgrade to confirm this.

I would love to be proven wrong on this, so let me know if you find a solution!

Badge +3
No - all I have been told is that 0807 is the answer. However, my production users are finance people, and leading up to Quarter End, there's no way I'm risking an upgrade. They will just have to wait....
Badge +9
Reports in 0807 have been revamped from 0803 so they perform a lot better now.  I have tested this on several customer environments who have migrated from SP1/0803 to 0807v330/350 and the reports work pretty well.  So far I have not seen any of those report errors that happened in SP1/0803.
Badge +9
Thanks for the update Johnny - looking forward to getting onto 807, however have been advised not to until 807/370 at a minimum, due to ongoing problems with forms services that were introduced.....hopefully sometime soon????
Badge +9

Wasn't aware of any key form service issues that haven't been fixed since KB000350.  Also KB000370 just got released today so you can get it from the customer portal.  The customer notifications should be going out soon.