SmartForms and renaming of file attachments

Badge +6

I was curious if anyone had any thoughts about renaming file attachments with SmartForms?  I was thinking of the scenario where uploading to a SharePoint library can sometimes generate a "file already exists" error if the same name is chosen as one that is already there, and would like to avoid that.  Also, sometimes it makes sense to rename a file a user may upload as "untitled" to something more meaningful to the process.  Does anyone have any suggestions how we could do this using the OOB tooling in SmartForms?

6 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

I know that it is possible for you to rename attachments uploaded to a SharePoint Library, I am unsure as to whether this is what you would like to achieve. If not, please provide me with more details.

In the meantime, check out the following link on SharePoint Library attachments and K2:

help.k2.com/files/4508

Regards,

Badge +1

I'm having the same problem. I want to rename a file before uploading it to Sharepoint. Could you give me more details on how to do that? the Url https://help.k2.com/files/4508 doesn't seem to be working

Cheers

Badge +7

Are you using SharePoint 2010 or 2013? Aslo are you using K2 Studio or Designer.

If you are using K2 Studio and SharePoint 2013 in the upload document you can provide any name you want effectively renaming the file. The answer is slightly different with Designer and SharePoint 2013 but one of the fields is called "name". If you dont provide a name it uses whatever the file name is.

I hope this helps

Badge +1

Thanks for the answer. I'm using K2 Designer with Sharepoint 2010

Badge +1

Any solution for Sharepoint 2010?

Badge +7

It has been a little over two years since I used k2 with 2010 and I cannot repplicate this without an envrionment  but I do beleive it is exactly the same. During the upload you provide a new name and it effectivly renames. it.

I hope this helps.