Scheduled workflow just quit running..WHY?

• 13 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +8

I have a workflow that runs every hour.  Since I implemented it, it has run 3890 times with 0 failures. 

All of a sudden on Thursday, it just quit running.  

Any idea why?  Here's a screenshot of it in management console.

16277i55B11664DD6B9C40.jpg

As I don't have the time or resources to monitor these workflows (because they're supposed to be automated, right?), I'm now a little bit uneasy with the workflow scheduler.  My project now (that I don' t have time for) is to make a NEW workflow to monitor this workflow and check to see if this one actually ran.  

Anyway, has anyone else had this issue?  Or does anyone have any idea why a scheduled workflow would just stop running?

Rob

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Execute the below Query in SQL and post the result please. Replace <SCHEDULE NAME> with the actuall schedulle name in the screenshot above

Declare @ScheduleName nvarchar(max)
Declare @SchID int

Set @ScheduleName = '<SCHEDULE NAME>'
Set @SchID = (Select [id] from [Eventbus].[ScheduleInstance]
where [ScheduleID] in (Select [id] from [Eventbus].[Schedule]
where [Name] = @ScheduleName))

Select * from [Eventbus].[ScheduleInstance]
where [ScheduleID] in (Select [id] from [Eventbus].[Schedule]
where [Name] = @ScheduleName)

Select * from [Eventbus].[CustomEvent]
where [Name] = @ScheduleName

exec [Eventbus].[aGetSchedule] @SchID

Also check the [Eventbus].[ClientRecorderError] table for errors relating to this Workflow or schedulle over the past couple of hours.

HTH

Vernon

Badge +8

Too late.  When I re-created the schedule, I deleted the old one in case it magically 'came back to life' and then was running it twice (which would also be a disaster).  So, the name of that schedule no longer exists.

I would settle for HYPOTHETICAL reasons just so I can plan ahead, though.

Rob

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi Robert,

I’m not sure if this will help. It's possible the issue might be related to outdated serviceID in ScheduleInstance table. The serviceID is the K2 Server ID, this is stored in [Eventbus].[ebsServiceRegister] table. When the workflow scheduler is executed, the serviceID will be set in the ([Eventbus].[ScheduleInstance]) table, after that it will reset back to 0 (Available). My guess is, it’s somehow picking up the wrong serverID and it’s not matching to the one in ebsServiceRegister table. That can cause the workflow schedule to stop.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

I suspect there might have been a date discrepancy that caused it not to fire on the hour anymore. The output data might have given us a picture of what is causing this.

With it deleted and recreated there is no way to try and find the root cause, please let us know if you see this again but im glad recreating it solved it for now.

Thanks

Vernon

Badge +8

Well, it's too bad, then.  Thanks, anyway.

Rob

Badge +8

Okay, it happened to TWO of my workflows today.  One was the same as last time, the other one is new.  

When I run the query above, I get an error, but still get some results. I 'm posting the results from the two queries (one for each workflow) as well as the error message.

This REALLY makes me angry.  I do NOT like it when I am pinged by management asking why something workflow-related hasn't been accomplished yet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi,

Out of curiousity, could it be possible related to Day Time Saving in the U.S.? Where are the servers located if you dont mind me asking?

If this happens multiple times, i would recommend logging a support ticket for this.

Badge +1

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I cannot seem to find resolution for this issue. My team has been experiencing this issue as well with a workflow that is scheduled to run every 30 minutes; however, the schedule will never consistently stay running. I cannot find a pattern for when it stops either - sometimes it runs for weeks without stoppage, sometimes days, and then this morning I only had 3 successful runs before it stopped. Any help or resolution that could be provided would be appreciated, as this schedule is for a critical business process.

We intend to upgrade from Five to 5.2 in the coming months - has this bugfix been addressed in 5.1, 5.2 or the fixpacks for either of these versions? I have reviewed the Release notes for both versions, and do not see it addressed in either; however, I have not extensively reviewed the FP notes.

For further context, I executed the Select query in this KB: https://help.k2.com/support-services/kbt149872 and saw that the ServiceID != 0, and then watched the schedule sucessfully create the workflow at the scheduled time, which leads me to believe that this is not necessarily the solution.