Nintex Live - How do I display dropdown menu from an on prem db or list via in Nintex Live Form?

• 10 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I'm still fairly new to the Nintex application, but I've been able to create both SQL Request and List Lookups within my Nintex Forms. The work great when accessing the form within the organization. However, when I try to publish those to Nintex Live for users outside of my organization, Nintex states those are not supported. Therefore, how can I populate my dropdown list with information my users need to select within the form when using Nintex Live? I need a solid solution as this will impact many projects that we are planning with Nintex.

Any help on the right direction to go in is greatly appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @tdwebster,

I am going to paraphrase heavily here, but here it goes:

When publishing Nintex Live Forms, they are being published and hosted on Nintex's Live (a.k.a. External) Platform. This is why when publishing the Live Form you get a new URL that is public facing. With that said, when an end user is using the Live Form, lookup functions, List Lookup Controls, and SQL Request Controls all execute at runtime, in which they are unable to 'reach back' to your environment to collect any of this requested information.

The best choice for dropdowns in Nintex Live Forms is the Choice Control rendered as a Drop Down Menu. This control is static in that is holds its' own values and does not depend on queries or lookups.

Badge +1
Hi Nicksha,

I appreciate the quick feedback. Sorry for my delayed response as we've been moving from one office to another. I understand the configuration and workings of the Nintex Live setup, which is understandable of why those runtime functions would not work. However, the question still stands, how do other companies utilize drop downs in their forms that are being accessed either via Nintex Live or even published within SharePoint (not accessed with ppl that do not have domain accounts)?

I understand we can populate drop down menus within the form, but what are the limitations of the number of entries that control can handle? How do you keep the form updated automatically as that drop down menu will need to updated often due to normal changes? We don't want to manually update the form, if possible.

If populating the drop down menu in the control within the form is the only option, will it handle over 2000+ entries?

Looking forward to your feedback!