Solved

Installing Cumulative Updates - Do I need to stop traffic to server?

• 18 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

Hi there.  I'm wondering when installing CU's do I need to stop traffic to the server to keep end users from using K2 in the given environment.  I have been doing that to be on the safe side, but I'm questioning now whether or not it's necessary.  We use K2 pretty much 24/7 as we have night shift folks as well as day shift, so installing a CU and getting everyone off the server is kind of a hassle.  It seems to deploy just like a package, and I've never had any issues with deploying packages when folks are in the environment.

Thoughts?

Rob

icon

Best answer by boringNerd1 18 April 2018, 09:14

View original

3 replies

Badge +15

Hi Rob,

When installing CU, it is not just deploying packages. Some files used by your K2 service gets replaced and updated as well. There will also be some updates to your K2 database. This means your K2 service will actually be stopped while the CU is applying. It is not a good idea to let your users continue to use K2 while you are applying the CU, unless you have another server that can pick up the slack.

Badge +10

Boring Nerd is correct that users should be prevented access.   I would add that even in a K2 server farm with multiple K2 servers, that users would still need to be prevented access since K2 servers in the farm are using the same K2 database that is being updated by the CU.  

Badge +8

Fair enough.  Thanks for the insight!