IPC clarification

Badge +7

HI There,

I have a workflow that kicks of other workflow depending on smartobject values from a smart form. So kind of like I want something, but who approves the thing I want depends on what I want choose in a smart form. 

I thinking in terms of who (group of people) shoudl be a sub process feeding into a parent process. So each who has an approval process that can be resused for other processes. In terms of the parent process my [problem how does the parent process determin the outcome of the sub process? I have been looking at IPC for a solution but info is pretty thin regarding this use case therefore first question is:  Is this possible using IPC for this purpose? and if so please, provide as much info as possible as I cannot find anything about this specificlly usiong the usual resources, all the material I have covered seem to suggest that this is not possible but it seems like a reasonable use case to be able to determine an outcome from a sub process in a parent.

The actual use case is that if any of the subprocess complete and thier outcome (or even the last activity before completion) is "rejectd". this would result in the parent process also moving to a rejected state.

Thanks in advnace.

3 replies

As long as you make the IPC subprocess synchronous (meaning the main process waits at that step until the subprocess completes) you can assign the data fields from the subprocess to data fields in the main process when you set it up, so that when the subprocess completes, the main process data field will be updated with the results. So in this case you'd just have something like an 'Outcome' data field in the subprocess which gets set appropriately by the subprocess workflow, assign it to 'First Approval Outcome' in the main process, and then branch as needed in the main process workflow based on that result.

Badge +7

Yes I did make the IPC syncronous but the point about implementing outcomes in the data fields? If the sub process has outcomes and I don't need to implment those outcomes in a datafield normally, I should be able to accesss those outcomes without having to implement a datafields for them from the parent. Other wise I am writing a sub process to accommodate a parent requirment which is kind of pointless. I think I can access the values Ineed from the IPC activity action result set. But I will try this another time as my project has moved on slightly. Thanks to every who has had a look at this.

It definitely should be possible solely in the parent process using the activity smartobjects, but it's going to be more work and you're going to have to know a lot more about the child process workflow's internal activity/event structure. Using data fields it's similar to a sort of "public API" for your child process available right from the IPC call, at the slight cost of assigning data fields in the child.