Governance - Citizen Developer Development Environment

• 17 July 2017
  • 4 replies

Hello K2 Community -

We will be implementing K2 4.7 soon and I am working on pulling together our internal K2 governance. I would greatly appreciate any guidance you would be willing to provide. Maybe I am approaching this wrong but I cannot seem to find anything related to this topic online. Where are your Citizen Developers developing their K2 solutions? Are you allowing to develop in production or do you make them use a lower environment and then deploy to production? How do we manage this from a Citizen Developer perspective?

What are your thoughts? Have you defined a process for this management of Citizen Developer source code? Thank you in advance for your time.

Brian

4 replies

Badge +1

Because of seme security limitations on the development side, we have separate IT vs. "citizen developer" dev servers.  Hopefully K2 will implement category/folder security so that we can have a single development environment in the future.  We do not allow development in production, even by our developers in IT.  So currently, developers buid the applications/make changes in the dev environment.  Then they are responsible for creating the package for deployment to QA and production.  Our IT does all the package deployments.

Although this approach is pretty much the same as the lifecycle of traditional development, it's been pretty painful for us.  Problems/errors coming up in QA that were working fine in development.. mostly with K2 for SharePoint in particular.  Some is growing pains for sure, but I also feel that K2 has some limitations/complexities/quirks that add to the pain.  Now we have the problem that K2 development is perceived as very slow, when the selling point was faster development.  It's true that you can build things more quickly, but if you're running into so many issues/delays getting changes moved into production successfully the developers and business stakeholders no longer see it as faster development.  So now people are starting to ask whether we should just allow development directly in production.

Badge

Hi All, 

Ehnanced security and access control is part of the next release of both K2 and Appit.  This includes new security roles such as security admin, and K2 Desinger role that allows access to the K2 designer.  Granular design time access control for assets such as SmartObjects, Forms and Views are part of the next release.  Runtime access for forms is also added.  

Hello francishsu -

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated. That said it sounds like we have similar concerns. I am wondering if you would be willing to set up a call so that you could share with me a bit more about what you are experiencing with K2 as well as exchange ideas relaed to K2 and SharePoint goverance. It looks like you are in Canda so we should be able to set something up fairly esay. Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Brian

Hello Brandon -

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated. That said per your reply it sounds like you know a little something about v5. Are you K2? If not is your org planning on going to v5? Please let me know. I would be interested in talking with you if you are going to v5.

Brian