Create a PDF from K2 Designer Workflow Generated E-Mail

• 19 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

Hi there.  

We have a workflow that generates an E-Mail.  Works great.

We'd like to generate a PDF of this e-mail for use later when we're able to figure out how to send an image to our imaging system using REST API.  

From what I can see from the PDF smart object and/or the e-mail wizard in the K2 Designer (not studio) based workflow, there isn't a way to do this...am I missing something?  

Any assistance/advice is appreciated.

Rob

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hello Rob,

I believe the OOTB PDF service broker and the SmartForms PDF controls were designed to generate a PDF file from a SmartForms or URL; and as such you will likely not be able to target this email.   One thing that can be done is perhaps surfacing the content of this email in a SmartForms also, and as such you can use the PDF SmartObject to target this SmartForms URL and generate the PDF.

Badge +8

That makes sense...but do you have any idea how you would surface that content in a smartform?  I'm not seeing an immediate way to do that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

I assume the email template have to look a certain way and is pulling data back from a SmartObject data source; if so:

1.  Perhaps a View/Form can be designed to mimic this email in its design

2.  It will have some parameter to accept IDs

3.  When the Form/View initialize, you would pass in these IDs and and call the appropriate SmartObjects to load these data

4.  If this is all working and the View/Form loads the data and looks likes the email

5.  Perhaps call the PDF Converter SmartObject in the workflow and pass it the URL (the IDs can be passed in a parameter and will dynamically tell the form which data to load) which will create a PDF of this Form/View containing the data

6.  Then you can use the PDF File SmartObject to retrieve this PDF and add it to your imaging system