AutoGUID help

• 4 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I have been looking everywhere for information on how to implement this into an application/workflow but I can't seem to find anything. 

I have a mileage/travel expense application that goes basically as follows:

Filled out by employee

Sent to manager for approval

Sent to payroll

When filled out by employee, they add a row for each time mileage needs to be accounted for. So, there could be 2 on the same day, but separate destinations. For example:

date          starting point                 end destination             mileage             reinbursement

10/4/18        A                                             B                                  20                           $10.00

10/4/18        C                                             D                                 15                           $7.50

10/5/18         E                                             F                                  10                          $5.00

This form is built with a list view, editable, with add, save, delete, and edit rows buttons. 

I would like the workflow to essentially send a "read only" copy of what was just filled out, the one sigular instance, for approval to the manager. Right now, I tried a non editable list view calling "get list" method which returns ALL items ever saved in the smart object. I only want what was stored in that particular instance, which is where they GUID would come in handy. My header essentially will have the employee name, and current date. 

I just cannot find much information to walk me through how exactly to start that process. 

Any help is appreciated. 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Happy to try and help - it seems that this is more of a data issue than anything, I'm not entirely clear how or where your data is stored but you would need some sort of field (like employee Id or even more nebulous session id) that groups all of the rows for a particular expense report. Then, when the report is submitted, this is the ID that would be used to filter the list down to only the items in this report to display to the manager in the read only version of the list.

Right now, I have 2 smart objects, one for mileage and one for travle expenses. Each have thier own view, and then are together on the same form. 

I would guess I need to create a smart object with employee name, and switch the ID to AutoGUID? Which that makes sense and I already started that. Just unsure how to incorperate that into the rest of it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Once you get that in place, the next step would be determining how you pass along the Employee ID as a parameter to the Manager's form so you can filter the list they see on that employee ID. My recommendation would be to make the employee ID a process-level data field on your workflow which you set when you submit the expense form initially. Then, when the workflow creates the task for the manager, you'd include this employee ID data field value as a parameter to the manager's form.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific.

I have a new smart object as follows:

ID                  AutoGUID

Employee    Text

This is essentially what I would want my "header" to be. When the form initializes,it will populate current user into the employee box, and then a unique identifier for the ID. 

When my workflow starts, I want it to pull the most recently created ID as its parameter in displaying the non editable list view of information for the manager to see.

If that makes sense. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hmmm.... I'm not sure if "Most recently created ID" makes sense, but I may not be seeing the whole picture clearly yet.

My advice is still to take whatever ID you are displaying in your header (Employee ID and auto GUID) and pass those to the workflow as data fields when you start the workflow. Then the workflow has the exact context for what records it is dealing with and can pass it along to any other tasks it kicks off.

Badge +11

This is a common scenario called header/detail and easily done.  You can find an example in our tutorials: