Implementing a search view for a List View

Hello,

we have a list view (that shows SP list items via "Get List Items") that we want to filter with a "search dialog"

==> so I created a view with the "search possibilities" (8 controls)

But I cannot realy "search" or "filter" the list view... we need to combine the search fields with AND and if I use the filter tab in the "get list items" view method I do not get the correct results if I have more than one search field but use only one...

example:

I have two columns (RequesterName and AppName) and thus two search fields (named similar)

I set up the filters with "contains" and combined them with "and"

If I "search" for "Requester=Name1" and "AppName=App1" then K2 will combine it and the list view will show items that contains "Name1" for Requester AND contains "App1" for AppName. But if one search field is empty it will remove all list items...

Is it possible to give a wild card to the filter option?

regards,

Johann

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi JSC

Based on the scenario explained my understanding is that you need to display all results where "Requester=Name1" and all results where "AppName=App1".

With that being the case my recomendation would be to try changing the [and] to an [or] as the [and] will search for "Requester=Name1" and "AppName=App1" and diaplay all results where each row contains both "Requester=Name1" and "AppName=App1" where the [or] will search for "Requester=Name1" or "AppName=App1" and will display all results where each row contain either "Requester=Name1" or "AppName=App1".

Could you confirm if this is the end goal you are aimign towards and also if you ahve tried this?

Kind Regards

Raymond

Hello,

either I did not understand your answer correct or I described my request wrong or too complictad... :-)

I try to to it again and hopefully simpler:

Let's assume I have a sharepoint list with two columns (columns1 and column2) and I have a form that has a list view to that list (with GET LIST ITEMS)

And I also have another view with two textboxes (Text1 and Tex2) and a Button on the Form called "SEARCH"

What I want to have:
* click on SEARCH (all two text boxes empty) ==> all list items should be shown
* click on SEARCH (only one text box is filled, other is empty) ==> all list items that CONTAIN the given text in the corresponding column should be shown
* click on SEARCH (both text boxes contain a text value) ==> all list items, that CONTAIN text1 in column1 AND text2 in Column2 should be shown

That is what I want 🙂
the third result is possible and works but the first and the second is not working.
Because an EMPTY text box does not work as a wild card... Entering a "*" into the textbox does not work either