Help with cleanup / migration

• 24 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

So we started off with K2 version 4. We then were required to update to version 5. With that, we completed a from scratch install on our PROD server and completed an upgrade on our existing DEV server.

I have PROD set up just right, but DEV is another story. This project went through multiple owners and now our DEV environment is complete garbage. 

I started to delete items from DEV and planned on creating a package from PROD to deploy into DEV, but then I noticed that DEV tables are not even the same as PROD. I was looking for Designer.Process to remove checkedout statuses from users no longer using the application, but this doesn't exist in K2 versions > 5. With that I'm affraid that even if I find the location to remove checkedout status I won't be able to import the package as the DB is different.

So I would like to know how I can pretty much wipe out DEV version out and copy PROD down. I can complete a SQL Database copy down, but as for the K2 applicaiton, setting, etc... Is there an easy way to do this without contacting support and paying for time?

Thanks,

1 reply

Hi alexhaberer,

If I'm understanding your note correctly, you are looking to completely wipe the Dev server, and get it to match up to Production? If that is the case, I would suggest the best way to do this would be to first take a full back up of the Dev K2 database, just in case, as well as a snapshot of the server if possible.

Once the server is backed up, you can completely uninstall the existing K2 instance in Dev by following the steps outlined here: http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2Five/ICG/5.3/default.htm#Maintain/Remove.htm

Once you have completely validated the uninstall per the documentation, I would suggest running a clean install of the same K2 version as Production to ensure they match. The clean install will create a new K2 development database, this one matching the exact schemas etc of your Production clean install database. From there, you can get all of your Production applications over via Package & Deployment. I would not recommend restoring a copy of the Production database over to Development unless required. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Emily