Solved

Different examples of selecting users for Approvals in workflows

We recently installed K2 Five and I have completed most of the tutorials. However, when looking at the first list of workflows that we wish to create, over 90% of them do not have the originator submitting to their direct supervisor.  This example is nice, but I'm looking for guidance on how to create approvals that go outside of the Manager-Employee relationship.

For example, the most important workflow that is on my slate to complete ASAP is one where the end user is picking the advisor they are creating the report for so the advisor can indicate if the report is ready to be published. This is not their supervisor. While I am able to get the drop down to show the names of the Advisors by using a service instance of Azure, if I use that field as the recipient of the task, nothing happens and the instance of the workflow ends at that spot.

I need to get a win with K2 as soon as possible and figuring out this part is vital. Are there any other tutorials or examples of different kinds of approvals beyond the Manager-Employee that I can review to see if I can figure out this part. I can't imagine that there aren't a lot of people who have workflows that have to go to completely different people/departments. 

icon

Best answer by khanh1 13 July 2018, 18:06

View original

4 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

How are you transferring the advisors that your user select to your workflow?

I am sure that I am missing steps on doing this with the transfer. But since I haven't seen any examples of how, I've just been throwing options up and see if anything works.

I know that my drop down control is going to an Azure Directory Smart Object that has the value as Display Name and the Display Name is the option for Display. I tried making the value Account, but then nothing appears. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi,

You will probably need to capture the DropDown value first before sending it to the worklfow. In the below setup, I add a view's data label control to capture value from Dropdown control when it's changed. Next I pass it to the workflow's process datafield and use it later on in the Approval step. Let me know if this helps with your requirement.

Sample form is setup to capture Approval from a dropdown control  and set it as a destination for the Task step in the workflow

1. Dropdown control's setup.

2. Use a transfer data action to capture the Approval value of dropdown control and transfer it to a data label control. 

3. Workflow is started when the Create Button is Clicked event. In here, you can map Data Label control from previous step to the Approval Data field. 

4. The Recipient is setup to use the Approval workflow data field.

Thanks for this lead on resolving this issue. Now I am able to get the email to the person selected - and they are able to use the link to item - I'm having a couple issues with this still.

First, the Worklist isn't displaying the task for the user. It just remains blank.

Second, the selected user's name shows on the list, but once the workflow starts, it's replaced with the email address.