Loop after Reject

• 17 January 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

I apologize for such a basic question.  I have tried to find the answer but unable to do so (probably because it is too simple, nobody asked it).

The situation is as follows - A document is created by Analyst 1 and is then sent to Mgr 1 for approval.  If the approval is rejected, I want control to go back to Analyst 1 to correct and resubmit the document for approval again.

I am using a flexi task for the approval.  What should be on the reject side to get the workflow to go back to Analyst 1 to make changes and resubmit?

8 replies

Badge +11

Hi Susie,

this is a common requirement and Nintex provides a good mechanism for that. It's called "State Machine". By using the state machine you can have different workflow-paths and at the end of each state you can decide to which state you want to jump next. So your intial state will be the approval task for your manager. If he rejects you switch to your second path where you create a task for your analyst to check/correct the document. After this task is finished you switch to the approval state again.

This is just a basic explanation on how to use a state machine in your case. If you seach for "State machine" inside the community you will find a lot of useful resources to get started.

Regards

Philipp

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Philipp Lucas‌ is correct.  Here is a link to a good overview of State Machines.   

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Susie Shaffer‌ - 

I would definitely recommend using a state machine. There are a ton of posts and articles on the topic within the community. Here is an example of one that I helped another community member with:  .

Let us know if you have any other questions and I'm sure someone will help!

Badge +7

Thank you everyone.  This gives me a great starting point.  

Badge +7

One more question on this subject -- Before I learned about the State Machine, I was thinking a simple Loop would work.  What is the loop for and could it work for a reject?

Badge +6

You shouldn't use a loop for that, using a state machine is definitely the best approach!

In a lot of workflows I need to store values in a collection variable (i.e. the IDs of several list elements) and want to perform specific actions on/with the single values in the collection, in these scenarios I'm using loop actions, like the "For each" action. There's a good article by Jesse McHargue‌ about Queries, Collections and Loops called Queries, and Collections, and Loops, Oh My! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

‌ - 

I wanted to check in and see how things were progressing? Were you able to get a solution in place for this?

Let us know what worked out for you or if you need some more assistance.

Badge +7

Hi, thanks for following up with me.

Yes, I used the State Machine and it worked out perfect. I marked the first answer by Philipp Lucas as “Correct Answer”

Thanks,

Susie Shaffer l Nordstrom fsb

Continuous Improvement (CI) Consultant

N O R D S T R O M