design generic approval

• 6 October 2005
  • 5 replies

Badge +3
I am new to K2 and would like to try the following as my first project using K2 and and existing web application.

My web application currently has a workflow step in it. The user selects names from a prefilled list based on business logic. I want to create a K2 workflow step to replace my current workflow approval process.

I am looking for the best way to set this up in K2. I have the ability to choose parallel or serial for each step. The workflow that has N number of approvers. If there are any rejects, the workflow should end.

Can some experienced developers give me some advice on how they would design the K2 solution?

Thanks,

5 replies

Badge +9
Hi, before starting with this it is important to understand the basics. The training material is aimed at people with no previous K2.net experience. Please download the training modules @ http://portal.k2workflow.com/downloads/training.aspx
Badge +3
I have already been through the training modules and attended a 2 day training class. So I believe I do understand the basics. I was asking for some design advice.
Badge +9
In order for me to provide help I need to understand the requirements in more detail. Please explain the business case in more detail.
Badge +3
Understood, let's take it in pieces.

I would like to pass in a group name and have emails sent to each user in the group and then have a task put in each person's worklist.

My xml looks like this.

</Approvers>
<Approver> <Name>Shawn.Bankert</Name> <Type>userid</Type> <Email>TZuff@K2WFServer.com</Email>
<Action/>
</Approver>
<Approver>
<Name>LegalDept</Name> <Type>Role</Type>
<Email></Email>
<Action/>
</Approver>
</Approvers>

The type determines whether I am going to send to a group or to a particular user.

I have a server event that resolves the email addresses , I am not sure how to handle getting the email addresses from those in a group.

Thanks.
Badge +11
Which user manager are you using - ADUM or SQLUM?

Surely, these user names and groups also exists in your user manager. If so, you can just create the Destination rules with the appropriate user or group names and leave it up to the user manager to resolve the email addresses of the users and/or members of the group.

Hope this helps,
Ockert