Open a list item in Edit mode

Badge +7

Hello. I'm looking for a way to manually put a list item in Edit mode. 

I have a Nintex form that allows User A to submit an item to the Requests list. This list has a Processed column that defaults to No for each new item.

I have a site page for User B with two panels:

• Panel 1 contains a web part displaying the Unprocessed Items view.
  • When User B clicks a list item, Panel 2 appears with the list item details.
  • I have a Save and Submit button that has an associated workflow. One of its steps is to update the Processed column to Y so that it no longer appears on the Unprocessed Items view. I can't get this edit to occur because the selected list item is in View mode. In the button's Advanced properties, I have set Enabled in View Mode to Yes, but apparently that just means the user can see the button. It doesn't make the list item itself editable.

How can I change the form mode to Edit (without requiring the user to click an Edit Item button)? Can this be done in a rule associated with the panel (ie can I set the value of "Is Edit Mode" in the formula builder's Common tab, or can I only get the value of it?)

I've found plenty of examples of creating a URL that will bring up a list item in Edit mode. And I've seen several posts regarding task lists. Neither of these apply to my situation.

Thank you.

3 replies

Badge +7

One update -- I can't set the value of Is Edit Mode (in a rule, formula builder, Common tab). Is Edit Mode is a function that returns a true or false. So you can check the mode using this but you can't change it using that particular route.

Badge +11

Hi Mindy,

this won't be possible with rules at all but will require some javascript logic. But you will still need any kind of event to trigger that function like a button click or a changed field value.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I have a site page for User B with two panels:

When User B clicks a list item, Panel 2 appears with the list item details.

so is it a list form webpart?

then you can configure web part so that it opens form directly in edit mode.

204079_pastedImage_1.png