MSBUILD > Registering Service Instance error

• 7 March 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

I'm having an issue with out deployment powershell script when it gets to the service registration part, error message as follows:-

==================================================

-- Registering new Service Instance <><><> Got an error:VALIDATION Failed to initialize the Contect: Url: http://dev.sitename.domain.com Username:    Error Details: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.   at SourceCode.SmartObjects.Services.Managment.ServiceManagementServer.GetServiceInstanceSchema

==================================================

Does anyone have an idea where to start looking at this problem? The user executing the deployment script is a K2 and Sharepoint Admin.

Thanks.

2 replies

Badge +5

I have no Idea what you are doing.  However, I can tell you that powershell and UAC are not always friends.  If you turn off UAC, that might help.

Badge +8

401 error messages typically means the account executing the code does not have permissions to do what it is trying to do. Since you are executing it from an application, it seems that the account used for execution needs additional permissions. You can test this by logging into the SharePoint site using that account, you must be able to access it. You can also try to give it Admin permissions on the site. 

If that doesn't work, have a look at the IIS and SharePoint logs, that should give you an indication of the account used and potentially more verbose error messages.