"Some Rules were not applied" error at submission in K2 BlackPearl 4.5

Badge +4

I got a very strange error at submision InfoPath Form using K2 blakpearl. This is my first K2 project.

It says "Some rules were not applied".  But this only happens to user who has never use the site collection before. Any user gets the error at the first place has no issue at submission later on.

The error message pops up around 10 seconds after clicking Submit.

Even thouth the above error shows, the form still submitted to the form library, and the process started, the process's other steps can work without any problem.

In the form, I didnot use the K2 default submission button, I use my own button and put the following rules in it:

1. Set field "Stage" to "Submitted".

2. Submit using data connection: Submit Workflow Service  ( this is K2 submission data connection)

3. Close the form: no prompt.

I also notice there is a warning in event log, the catogory is "Forms services runtime - data connections", the error message is "the operation has time out".

So, this error only happens to first time user and process works without any problem.

Any advise?

Thanks,

David

10 replies

Badge +11

Hi David,

Do you see this behavior on Starting of a Workflow or when Actioning a task.

Has your users been assigned Process Start rights in K2Workspace -> Management Console -> Workflow Server -> Processes -> [Process] -> Users?

Regards,

Ockert

Badge +4

Hi Ockert,

I have "Everyone" group with "Start" rights. This happens to around 80% of first time users, and did not observe any issues with returning users.

Same issue also happens to my simpified testing process which has one text box and using default submit button, in the process, there is only one activity to load the form the SharePoint site.

This happens on three systems, DEV, QA, and production.

All users are in same domain group.

Thanks,

David

Badge +11

Hi David,

Which product (K2 blackpearl/blackpoint) and version (4.5.1230) are you running?

I know there was a problem at one point w.r.t. the Everyone Group which was resolved in a later release.

Try giving a new user explicit Start rights on the Process and see if he/she gets the same.

If successful, give a Group some of the new users belong to explicit rights - and test again.

If successful, revert to rather giving K2:[Domain]Domain Users (as apposed to Everyone) explicit Start rights on the process - and test again.

Alternatively (and if at all possible), upgrade to the latest release (4.6.3) and see if you get the same.

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +4

Hi Ockert,
We are using ver 4.5.1420.
I tried assigning a single user with "start" right, but no luck. Given the large user number of the company, it seems we have to use "everyone" group.

I tested on different scenarios, I created different processes on different site, different site collection, and different SP server (2007 and 2010).

All above processes are deployed to the same K2 server.

The first time user always got error popup in the first processes he started. But the same user didn't get error on other processes (working as returning user).

It really haunts us. We have to halt new form development and productin deployment using K2.

Thanks,
David

Badge +11

Hi David,

Another possibility...

In SharePoint Central Admin -> Configure InfoPath Forms Services, please increase the default and maximum data connection timeouts and see if problem persists.

Thanks,

Ockert

Badge +4

Hi Ockert,

We also tried that to change the default and maximum d.c. timeout to 2mins and 3mins. But it is the same.

thanks,

David

Badge +10

Any chance the users are in different AD forests from K2?  I ran into what sounds like a similar issue on a previous version of K2 when user's from another forest would first try to access their worklist.  It would take them about 1 minute to authenticate and then after that it was okay since K2 cached their credentials until that cache expired.  If I remember correctly the fix was in the K2 Workspace/Management/User Managers/K2/Settings to choose the Ignore Foreign Principals.

Regards,

Tim

Badge +4

Thanks Tim. We tried. It worked for the first two users; then following two users got the same error.

I have to stop the test as I don't want to run out of user candidates.

Regards,

David

Badge +11

David,

I you still don't come right after Tim's suggestion, please log a support ticket so that we can figure out what is happening here.

Thanks,

Ockert

Badge +4

It comes up with this is a bug of K2 Blackpearl. Basically, the problem is related to resolving user belonging to multiple SharePoint and AD groups and large number of AD groups in domain.

I was told it is gonging to be fixed in update 4.6.4.