Copying Workflow Attachments

• 9 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +6

Is it possible to pre-define  metadata of a list attachment before copying it to a different document library.

The library that I want to copy the attachments to uses Content Types, but i don't want a user to enter this information manually after the document is copied to the library, but rather specify the metadata from the workflow.

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Tapologo,

you are using the "Copy to SharePoint" action?

There is a "Store result in" field in the actions configuration. If you use this action on a list for transferring the list item attachments, you can use this field to store all the URLs of the newly created documents in a collection variable.

Afterwards you can use an "Update Item" action inside a "for each" loop on your collection variable and update all the fields of that document. You can configure the "Update Item" action to update the item only if the item URL matches the current URL of your collection.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +6

Thanks Phillip.

This sounds like a good solution, but also sounds very complicated. Please break it down for me.

Badge +11

Naaah, that isn't really complicated, I'm sure you can handle this. But I will try to break it down a little.

When you want to copy the attachments from the list item the workflow is running on to a different library, you can use the "Copy to SharePoint" action as it does exactly what you want: "When the workflow is running on document libraries, the item that the workflow is running on will be copied. In a list, any attachments on the list item that the workflow is running on will be copied." (Source: Nintex Help)

Inside this actions configuration you have the "Store result in" field, which you can use to store all the URLs of your copied items inside a collection variable. Let's say you have 3 attachments on your list item and the workflow excecutes. You will then have a collection variable sotring 3 URLs to the 3 new items in your destionation library.

You can then create a "for each" loop to process your collection variable. Inside this for each loop you can use the "Update item" action and filter it for your URL like this:

I'm not sure if the URL pattern of the return value of "store result in" matches the one in the "Encoded Absolute URL" field. You may have to adapt at this point. But the general idea remains the same.

If you need more explanation, please tell us exactly what issues you have.

Regards

Philipp