Unable to connect to Reporting Services server

• 26 November 2008
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi all,

I have the following setup: there's one server with all the Blackpearl components, but the reporting is to be done on a different server, because there's already a SRSS cluster running at the customer site. Now the customer IT department is refusing to run the K2 Blackpearl Installer on the reporting server, because it's a production environment and they are afraid something might happen. For testing purposes, we tried another server with Reporting Services installed, where the installation of the K2 reporting components installed successfully, but the K2 configuration manager now says it's unable to connect. I gave the K2 service and the installer account full rights on the RS, but still it says the account has no permission to connect when using the "Test Connection" button in the K2 Configuration Manager on the K2 Server system. It can however, connect to the RS cluster server (with no K2 report folder installed) using the test button.

Any suggestions?

Best regards

Niels

3 replies

Badge +10

I've experienced the same issue a couple of times and seems to be related to Kerberos settings for the Report Server website.  To get past the error so that the installer could connect and continue the configuration try running the following command on the Report Server website where WebSiteID is the ID of the site hosting Reporting Services.  The ID is 1 if its the Default Website:

cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/WebSiteID/root/NTAuthenticationProviders "NTLM"

Note that after the configuration completes you may need to change the setting back to enable Kerberos if that's required in your environment.

cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/WebSite/root/NTAuthenticationProviders "Negotiate,NTLM"

Related Microsoft article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/215383

Hope this helps.  Tim

Badge +1

thanks for the tip, for now we are using a different RS server during development, we will have to connect to the cluster sooner or later.

But come to think of this cluster service, I am no expert in this matter, when there's a load balancer sending me to different servers, would that imply I have to use Kerberos? We were trying to avoid using Kerberos.

Badge +10
From your description it looks like Kerberos will be required.  Typically whenver there is a distributed K2 enviornment (not all the K2 components are running on a single server) then Kerberos is a requirement.  A bit of a pain but there is now lots of documentation within the K2 Getting Started Guide, and on posts and whitepapers on this forum to help you out when you're ready.