Actually Stop a Scheduled Site Workflow

Badge +3

I created a site workflow to remind users that they have pending tasks. I scheduled it to run once a week. It worked fine for a while. Then it started sending reminders to users that didn't have pending tasks. So I removed the schedule. It still sent out reminders. So I deleted the workflow, hoping this would stop it from sending reminders. It didn't. They still get reminders even if they don't have pending tasks. 

The is very aggravating to all of the users. How in the world do I stop a scheduled workflow that I removed from the schedule and deleted?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Have you looked at the running site workflows? In 365 I go to Site Contents and there's a "Site Workflows" (where you would go to manually start it) and I'm able to see running workflows there as well. Can you check there to make sure there's not somehow some version still running?

Badge +16

If you go to site settings and site workflows and view workflow history you should be able to terminate the workflow that is running? 

Badge +16

We replied same time!! 

Badge +16

Or you can go site settings > workflow settings > Remove, Block, or Restore a Workflow and then remove it like that

Badge +3

Checked these a while back. Checked them again today.

There are no site workflows running, according to the site.

Workflow Settings

There aren't any running site workflows, according to Workflows

Workflow

Any other ideas?

Badge +16

That is so bizarre!! Are you 100% sure it is the site workflow you've removed that's sending the emails? Are there any other workflows that could be sending them?

Badge +3

No, I've triple checked. The only workflow that sends out reminders are for the tasks themselves. And the people getting the reminders don't even have open tasks in the workflow task list, only completed ones. Not even recently completed ones.

After I removed the site workflow from the Schedule, it still sent out emails. So the next best thing was to delete the workflow. Had I known that wouldn't solve the issue, I would have changed the workflow by deleting all the steps and then republished it. That way at least it wouldn't keep sending out the emails. 

I have no idea how to stop a non-existing workflow. Any help would be appreciated! :-)

Badge +16

Oh no this sounds so stressful!  We will work this out somehow.

OK so the emails - do they have any links in them whatsoever to any items or workflow history or anything?

Have you tried support?  They may have seen this before and be able to help.

I wouldn't have said stopping the schedule would terminate the running instance so I totally get that.  And now I am wondering whether deleting a workflow will stop a running workflow - I also don't think so.  So I think you need to ask support how you can view running instances of a deleted workflow?

Badge +16

Also just seen that if you have reporting turned on for Nintex Workflow you can view Workflows in progress and terminate from there - is that an option?