cascading dropdowns

• 18 December 2012
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I'm creating forms for incident reporting and have run across something I've not been able to work out. I was recently talking to someone that mentioned I might be best off using cascading dropdowns but I haven't worked out how to accomplish this.

I'm creating a risk matrix so the consequence and likelihood dropdowns need to produce a risk rating.

so Consequence = choices 1-5, then likelihood = 6 - 11

the risk rating depending on the combinations chosen should come out to one of the following;

12   Low

13   Moderate

14   High

15   Very High

The result should then populate the risk field.

7 replies

Badge +1

Further to my previous post, same set of forms I need a Dropdown for "Incident Category" under which there will be three categories each of which has a half dozen or so sub categories which then have another half dozen sub-sub categories each.

I would imagine this will require at least three "Cascading" dropdowns as well unless someone has a better method.

Any assistance would be appreciated since I'm relatively new to K2.

Badge +2

Hi,

As I understand, you need to set correct value in the Risk field based on values in Consequence and Likelihood drop-down lists.

If your drop-down lists return numeric values, you can use Expression on the Risk text field with IF (..., ..., ...) condition. For example: if((consequence + likelihood) = 12, "LOW", if(...)) 

Badge +1

Thanks Alexey,

Yes that's what I'm looking for, the output will be verbal but I had figured assigning each value a numeric equivalent would be the simplest way to accomplish it. Being pretty new to K2, and the only person in the company doing any dev with the application it's a big help to get ideas from somewhere. I'll play with this and variations of it.

Thanks,

Badge +1

Hi,

With regards to my second post about incident reporting, I've found some instruction regarding cascading dropdowns in 200.YUL - K2 smartforms: Intermediate.pdf from the learning center, however their scenario is so simplified I'm still banging my head working out how to accomplish it. According to the documentation each subsequent dropdown needs a matching join value, but with every test case I've tried the only way to do that is to make the previous main be a choice in the next dropdown which I don't want to happen, at least not as a visible choice. 

I've substituted simple values but what I need is to have probably 3 separate dropdowns, the selection or content of each subsequent dropdown depends on the selection on the previous dropdown, so in a simplified manner it should come out something like this.

First dropdown

1     2     3

second dropdown (if first =1 then second should be column1, if first = 2 then column 2 etc...)

1A     2A      3A

1B     2B     3B

1C     2C     3C

1D     2D

1E     2E

1F      2F

1G

1H

again, depending on the result of the above the third dropdown should populate accordingly.

third dropdown

1Aa     2Aa     3Aa

1Ab     2Ab     3Ab

1Ac     2Ac     3Ac

2Ad     3Ad

3Ae

1Ba

1Bb     2BA

1Bc     2Bb     3Ba

1Bd     2Bc

1Be     2Bd     3Ca

1Bf

1Bg

1Bh     2Ca

1Bi      2Cb

1Bj      2Cc

1Bk     2Cd

1Bl      2Ce

1Ca     2Da

1Cb     2Db

1Cc

2Ea

1Da      2Db

1Db      2Dc

1Dc      2Dd

1De

2Ea

1Ea

1Eb

1Ec

1Ed

1Ee

1Fa

1Fb

1Ga

1Gb

1Gc

1Gd

1Ge

1Gf

1Gg

1Ha

1Hb

1Hc

1Hd

1He

1Hf

Badge +2

I did something similar just a few days ago - also a risk matrix. I have several different fields, each value in each field has a different "Risk Rating" - which is a number. Currently I hard coded that numeric value into a rule. So if the user selects X value from Y field, another text box is updated with the proper numeric value (there is an on change rule on field Y). Then, at the bottom, I have another textbox that adds up the numeric value from each of the selections. 

In the next few days I am going to change the numeric values from being hard coded to being in a table, probably a SmartBox SmartObject, and on change I'll fetch what the value should be and update the appropriate textbox. 

I wonder/hope that this helps you?

Badge +2

oh and about cascading drop-downs - i forgot that part. When you use a SmartObject as a data source for a dropdown, there is an option "Filter the data according to another control's value" - then you can setup the join to the "parent control."

Of course, you need a smartobject that has that data so that the join makes sense. I think its what you described in your last post. I found it easier to have a separate table for each drop down, as opposed to trying to create one table to manage all of them.

Then of course, the idea I mentioned before about the numeric values still applies. You can have an onchange rule for each dropdown that updates another text box with a value. You can hardcode the value into the rules with several "if value =" statements, or you can save the numeric value into the table and fetch it that rule through the smartobject.

Badge +1

Thanks, in order to do this the way the business wants I may end up having to create a series of false joins in order to fit both the business requirements and the sql logic. I'm still working on it.