Backing up K2 BlackPearl

• 18 February 2011
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2

Morning all,

I've been tasked with devising a K2 backing up strategy and would like to ask how K2 BlackPearl implementations are typically done.  These include the default K2 databases, some SQL Server system databases, as well as customisations (IIS files, K2 config files, custom DLLS, etc.)

Does K2 have a preferred backing up methodology or can anyone in the community suggest an effective manner of doing so?

Any/all thoughts are welcome.

5 replies

Badge +10

Hi

You might already have seen this documentation but just in case there is a topic in the online help with the blackpearl 4.5 1230 release that should help you out.

Disaster Recovery > Introduction

Badge +2

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this.

I don't have a K2 install to hand but I'd like to get a look at this.  Is there anywhere online that will have this information?

Thanks,
Steven 

Badge +10

Yes, however you need a K2 portal account to login.  The documentmentation can be accessed at help.k2.com and then just go to the K2 blackpearl menu option and select Help.

Badge +2

Hi Tim,

I've got an account and have had a look, thanks.

So, reading this, the server back-ups are pretty straight forwards, but when it comes to backing up the K2 Server, is this just literally taking a copy of the installation location of BlackPearl?

Additionally, if I had to use these to restore BlackPearl, what sort of process would I use typically use? 

Badge +10

I think the answer to your question would depend on what type of restore you'd be doing. 

If you're using the same server and If you're OS software was restored to a state before you installed blackpearl then just restoring the installation files backup wouldn't be enough.  There are additional K2 registry entries and .Net config file settings that wouldn't be restored or reapplied without doing a resinstallation of K2 blackpearl.  Of course if you had a complete K2 server backup which included all the OS directories, IIS, Registry and K2 and IIS installation files then you should be good to go as far as the K2 Server is concerned.

Here are the recommendations from the help. 

Disaster Recovery > Restoring a K2 blackpearl environment

Restoring to a Cold Standby environment

Follow the steps below to restore to a cold standby:

1. Ensure that the Windows machine is in working order
  2. Install the K2 Server and K2 Web Components
  3. Apply service packs and/or updates
  4. Restore the K2 blackpearl installation directory from backup
  5. Restore databases from backup
  6. Restore K2 servers and IIS servers from backup
  7. Restore any other files for your K2 processes
  8. Run the K2 blackpearl Configuration Manager to update the new license key
  9. Start your K2 server