Installing K2 on SharePoint Portal Server

• 14 April 2005
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
I received the K2.Net 2003 trial and want to install it on the same server as my SharePoint Portal Server.

The portal is defined as the Default website in IIS. Do I have to create a new website for K2? How do I install in this configuration?

5 replies

Badge +4
Hi,

It is possible to install K2 on the same server as SharePoint, but you will need to be aware of a few things:

SharePoint essentially takes over the IIS Site - Any requests to the site are intercepted by the WSS ISAPI filter and routed to the SQL databases - You would need to configure Sharepoint's Managed Paths so that the K2 web components virtual directorys are exluded from the ISAPI Filter.

You can use a different IIS site, but you will need to use host headers if you still want both sites served over port 80 - I haven't tried this myself, so I'm not sure if it'll work.

You will also need to make sure that any new IIS sites you create are associated with an Application Pool if you are intending to make use of the K2 Web Components.

If you are intending to make use of Kerberos Authentication (seems to be required for the SharePoint K2 Task List Web Part), then you will need to install K2 on it's own server as this relies on the host names so may not work properly with host-headers.

Our environment uses separate servers for SQL, K2 and SPS - The only K2 components we have deployed on the SPS server are the K2 Task List Web Part and the K2 SharePoint List Web Service - These options only appear in the installer when it is run on an SPS server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave.
Badge +2
Hi,

I'm going to have to agree with David on this one. Only install the Sharepoint functionality on the Sharepoint box and create another server for the K2 server (as well as the Sharepoint/InfoPath Web Services). We've used VPCs in our Dev environment to accomplish this task, works rather well. Don't forget about configuring SPNs (I believe the K2 service manager will take care of the K2 server SPNs) for your Web Services. They're required in AD to pass Kerberos credentials.
Badge +1
First of all, thank you for your opinions on my problem.
It brings me to my next question. Is it possible/recommended to install K2 on the SPS-machine on a virtual machine with VMWare?

Best regards,

Vincent
Badge +2
Hi,

Yes, it is possible. If your hardware is beefy enough I don't think you should have any problems. I've installed K2 in an MS VPC and didn't have any problems. Unfortunately in my instance it was not a SharePoint box (it was BizTalk), but I can't think of any immediate concerns since it is it's own discrete installation base.
Badge
There is an Knowledge Base article on the K2 Workflow KB site:

KB000064 - Configuring K2.net 2003 Workspace to run on the same IIS site as SharePoint

http://kb.k2workflow.com/Articles/KB000064.aspx

Maybe this could also help.