Email Notification when Task is still In Progress

• 24 November 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge +9

I am creating a State Machine workflow  using the Request Approval action. In the Request Approval action the Approvers is set to an AD group. Once a task is created anyone from the AD group can work the task, however there are going to be scenarios where the task gets assigned by the manager  to a specific person. The manager will edit the item and click on a dropdown menu with a list of names.

If the task is not worked by the specific individual within 24 hours i need an email reminder has to be sent to that person and not the group. I also need the reminder to loop every 24hours until the task gets worked by that individual. I can't figure out how to get the reminders to work if the task is assigned by using the drop down menu. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

145903_pastedImage_0.png

7 replies

Badge +5

Hi Rency.

I would use "Assign Flexi Task" action as it offers out of the box reminder functionalities. However you won't be able to infinitely send reminders every 24 hours as you have to specify the "number of reminders" (see screenshot below). 

Instead of sending infinite reminders, I would recommend taking advantage of the "Escalation" functionality within the same action. You could set it to escalate to an individual or a group of people after a x number of reminders have been sent.

However if you have to send reminders every day infinitely you can create a "Site Workflow" and schedule it to run every day without setting

an end day.

Hope this helps!

146032_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +9

Hi Thomas

Thank you for helping me however even if I use the flexi task the Assignee field will be the AD group. My dilemma is when the manager edits the item and picks a name from the custom drop down choice column. The drop down has over 30 names listed,  if they choose a name from the drop down how can I get the reminder email to be sent to the one person instead of the entire AD group (distribution list) that is in the Assignee field of the Flexi Task or the Request Approval task?

Badge +5

Hi Rency.

Maybe we should your business process and workflow logic. I think it would make sense to:

1. Assign a workflow task to a manager which lets him choose from the drop down containing the members of the AD group as part of completing that workflow task

2. Then save the selected value of that custom drop down to a workflow variable (or alternatively connect to a SP list filed)

3. Assign a workflow task to the workflow variable containing the selected member, configure the reminder for that workflow task.

This way you don't need to worry about who was selected. Happy to chat more about your business process happy.png

Regards,

Thomas

Badge +9

Hi Thomas

How do I do the following

3. Assign a workflow task to the workflow variable containing the selected member, configure the reminder for that workflow task.

I am thinking maybe I can have the manager type in the email address of the person in a textbox instead of using a dropdown and store that in a variable. However how do I assign the variable to the task?

Badge +5

Hi Rency.

This is how you assign a workflow variable as a task assignee.

147828_pastedImage_3.png

If you are going to ask the manager to type in email address I would recommend using people picker instead to prevent invalid entries.

If you are still thinking of doing it via your "custom dropdown list" containing all the selected task assigness.

Below is an example of how I build a custom drop down list and then bind the selected value to a variable

1. Add a Label control on your form and give it a unique css class id by "Edit Source", it is "ATRList" in my case

add a Workflow Variable and give it a unique css class  "ATRTitle" in my case

147827_pastedImage_2.png

label settings

147708_pastedImage_0.png

147831_pastedImage_19.png

workflow variable settings

147829_pastedImage_17.png

2. On form load, below is the javascript snippets that builds and custom drop down list and also saves the selected value of the drop down list into the workflow variable whenever the selected value changes.

SetFormData -  builds the custom drop down

AttachDropDownChangeEvents - binds the drop down selected value change event handler

NWF$(document).ready(function()

{

SetFormData()

AttachDropDownChangeEvents()

});

function AttachDropDownChangeEvents()

{

NWF$("#ATRList").change(function()

{

var atrSelected= NWF$("#ATRList :selected").val() 

NWF$(".ATRTItle input").val(atrSelected)

});

}

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I'd use delegation on the Flexitask to make this work.  Just wanted to get this on here for others to think about. grin.png

Badge +9

Thank you so much for your help and time Thomas.