Skip to main content

In my experience, one of the biggest annoyances for standard SF users is that when they use a lookup field to try to find a record, but don’t find one, they can’t create a new record right then - they have to click out of the lookup, go to another place, create a new record, then come back and use the lookup field again.

With Skuid, I know I can build a better lookup field (as a picklist or a type-ahead search), but what is the best way to allow a user to say “I didn’t find one, so create a new one and put it in the lookup/search field”? I can easily put a button near the lookup field that functions as a popup in which to create the new record, but the user still has to save, close the popup, and re-search for that record again in the lookup field. Is there a simple way to put that record into the right lookup field right away on the editor I came from? Or do I have to use javascript to do this?

Better yet, I’d love to see this built-in, such as a config option on lookup fields for ‘Show “Create New” option’ with a pop-up field configuration. When selected, it would automatically pop up a page/editor and fill the field with the new record’s ID when it is saved (and close the popup).

Ok got it -
Add a new model for SingleLender, clone your Lenders model, but uncheck load on page load
your row action on New Submissions opens the popup like you have it
The popup has your table of Lenders. Your row action for each lender does the following:
Adopt Rows into Model - source: Lenders destination: SingleLender
Close Popup

In the popup, add an After-close action of Update field on row just like you did before, update the NewSubmission Lender__c field, but choose Single Specified Value, then put in {{$Model.SingleLender.data.0.Id}}

Should work. On your row action to open the Lenders table, you’ll also want to remove all rows from Single Lender model, so you’re clearing it out each time. 

And it works if you create a new lender and don’t save it, but works better if you save the new Lender first, so on your close action or row action you might add a save Lenders model somewhere

I’ve got a prototype page if any of that is confusing

Ty I will try it shortly, but if u could post your prototype, i’m sure it will make it much easier for me to visualize it.

Thx again!

Jack you are a genius!

Thank you very much , it worked like a charm!

Glad it worked Dave! Here’s the page xml for my test page using Contacts and Accounts:

New Contacts with existing or new Accounts

NewAccount

One thing that isn’t ideal, if you choose a contact for which you’ve already chosen an account, click the row action to open the popup of accounts, and then close the popup without choosing an account, it will clear out the account value on that contact. So you might do something like use the myns component to disable the x button on the popup window if you find that to be a problem. 

Dave, I know this was two years ago, so you may be doing something totally different now, but I think I finally have enough Skuid knowledge to understand your solution and find it totally amazing. One question I have is, how do know which models to save when you say “Save Models in Context”, if you have this button as an item in your custom header on all pages?

I guess this was before Master Pages and the Navigation component, so maybe you just built the same page title as a header over and over on every page, so you could choose the models to save.

Is there some way to have a button action that looks at all the models that exist in that context and save them, without having to explicitly declare model names?

Good catch, I see what u mean and could be a little issue.

What is that myns component you are mentioning?

Thx

the genius of Barry Schnell: https://community.skuid.com/t/popup-controller-component-disable-x-escape-key-and-hook-di…

A lot of what he did got incorporate in the After-Close Actions now available on popups, but the disable X button is still pretty useful