Solved

tab order on Process Manager edit page is broken

Badge +1

We have users ask for the ability to work in their process without using the mouse. We found the alt keys in Quick Start, but then we were looking for how to use the check mark button and the delete button.

If you start from adding an activity and only add the title and the role, tab will take you to the check mark button and the delete button and you can select either one with the space bar. The problem is that the buttons are not highlighted when they are selected so you have to guess where you are and that can lead to accidental deletions.

If you add the title and the role and go on to add tasks and then try to tab to the check mark button or the delete button, you end up moving around the whole browser instead, again with no idea where the tab is going to end up.

How can we resolve this for our users?

icon

Best answer by MarkduToit 15 March 2023, 12:10

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Marsha,

I have tried to test this on Mac (as it is slightly different to Windows), but seem to have managed to get around the problem. When creating a new activity for a new process using the Alt+A command, it will open up a new activity as expected.

Thereafter, you can capture the Activity text, tab to get to the Role field (which you can complete), and then tab again just to move out of the Role field. If you enter Alt+T at this point, it creates a Task for you (at least this was the experience I had when testing), which you can capture, then hit enter (or use Alt+T again) to add subsequent Tasks, and then when a new Activity is required, you can enter Alt+A again.

Is this the same on your end?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Marsha,

Upon additional testing I noticed that the behaviour was not consistent. The last time I tested the tab function to move me out of the Role field, it navigated to the address bar of the browser.

I could hit escape twice so that it was no selected, and then enter Alt+T to create tasks, or I could hit enter directly from the Activity field to start creating Tasks directly. This would leave the Activity unassigned, but this could be amended after all of the Activities and Tasks were created.

Please let me know if you have a similar experience, or if this worked for you.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Badge +1

@MarkduToit The issue is not with creating tasks or activities. The issue is being able to properly get to the check mark to save or the trash can to discard. 

As I related before: 

•  if you start from adding an activity and only add the title and the role, tab will take you to the check mark button and the delete button and you can select either one with the space bar. The problem is that the buttons are not highlighted when they are selected so you have to guess where you are and that can lead to accidental deletions.
  • If you add the title and the role and go on to add tasks and then try to tab to the check mark button or the delete button, you end up moving around the whole browser instead, again with no idea where the tab is going to end up.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Marsha,

Ah, okay, I understand the problem a little better now.

I thought when Enter is selected, saving the Activity and moving onto the Tasks would have provided what you were looking for. If not, I think it would be best to raise this as a feature request via Nintex Ideas (https://ideas.nintex.com).

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Badge +1

Thanks for the suggestion.  Since this is an existing process that’s performing incorrectly, I’ll report it as a bug instead. 

Badge +1

@MarkduToit Your suggestion was marked as the answer but it’s not. Can you undo that please?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @Marsha,

I do not have access to mark items as the answer or remove them. This will need to be done by the administrators of the Nintex Community. That being said, it may have been marked as the answer due to the fact that logging the feature request is the only viable option, or potentially logging it as a bug via the support channel.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Badge +1

So there’s another bug in the system?  I’ll have to start charging for my QA time soon!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @Marsha,

I personally don’t think it is a bug, but you mentioned that you felt it was a bug and were going to report it as such. My suggestion was to log it as a feature request via Nintex Ideas 😊

Kind Regards,

Mark.