Solved

Workflow or Form - Is it possible to replace blank fields with N/A?

Badge +4

Hello!

Total newbie here (just got a "crash course" in SharePoint/Nintex a day ago), so I apologize if I misspeak in terms of jargon and syntax.

I'm currently working on a project in trying to design a form that serves as a daily debriefing, with the goal of using the form's selections to populate an e-mail body.

In the form, I have some functions that would 'show' (aka unhide) certain options dependent on the choice.

For example:

Departments: Bakery, One-of-A-Kind-Gelato

Dessert Options: Cake, Croissants, Pies

Flavors: Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla

- If Bakery is selected, then the dessert options would manifest. If Cake option is selected, then the flavors options would appear as well.

Sample E-mails That Would Be Sent

Email #1

Department: Bakery

Dessert Option: Cake

Flavor: Chocolate

Email #2

Department: Gelato

Dessert Option: N/A

Flavor: N/A

- Ideally, I would like to create custom e-mails based on the choice selected (but that isn't feasible). Instead, perhaps an e-mail w/ each column listed, and if the column/option was not filled in/selected on the form, it'd populate with N/A. Is this best done on the workflow level, or the form level? I tried creating multiple branches for the workflow, and attempted to create variables and experiment with regex (replacing blanks w/ N/A), but to no avail. The resulting workflow also looked convoluted with multiple variables...

Thank you for any insight/directions!

icon

Best answer by Garrett 3 June 2022, 18:08

View original

4 replies

Badge +5

Hello @vities, just add a switch action to the worklfow and check the value of Department Column. 

you should have 2 branch: Bakery & Gelato.

and each branch you add your notification action with the required body

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @vities 

Use variables.

Set the value of the variables and use the variables in the Email

If (Dessert Value == "Cake" )

Set var txt_cake = "Cake"

Else

Set var txt_cake = "-N/A-"

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Then create a single Email and use the variables.

Email

Department: {Variable:txt_Bakery}

Dessert Option: {Variable:txt_Cake}

Flavor: {Variable:@txt_Flavor}

Badge +4

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond! I wish there was a way to accept both solutions!

I actually ended up using a medley of both @DimaHijazi 's switch solution for workflow and @Garrett variable designation.

I originally had the N/A set up as a reg expression:

Thank you guys once again 🙂