Question

Updating SharePoint Hyperlink column with description

• 27 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi,

Currently I'm working on a workflow and part of it is to create an item in a SharePoint 2019 list, which contains a Hyperlink column. However, I would like to add a short description text to show i.s.o. the URL. So I set the column to [Link URL], [Descrption]. With a hardcoded description text all seems fine, but as soon as I replace it with a column or variable value, the space is replaced with a non-breakable space code: [URL].%C2%A0[Title]. If I type a text in front of the description column/variable (e.g. [URL]. About [Title]), it works fine. Putting the column/variable inside a inline function does not help either. Nor 2 spaces between separtor and column/var. See attachment a screenshot.

The Nintex 2019 Workflows version I currently use is: “5.2.7.0 - International”

Is this a bug?

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @jpmhuls,

Does this post help with this issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Thank you @SimonMuntz ,

Actually I already tried that without success. But maybe I made a typo. However, just to be sure I'll give it another go next week.

I'll keep you posted.

Regs,

Jean-Pierre

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

That's odd, it should just work with variables in there as well. I’m not sure exactly how your workflow looks like, but what works for me is to use a single-line of text variable for the entire thing. I use a "Build String” action to build it up, and use the {TextStart} and {TextEnd} wrappers in the Build String action like in the linked post, then write the result from the Build String to a single-line text variable, and then assign that single-line text variable to the hyperlink column with a simple “update field” action.

Some things to take note of in italics:

Build the string like {TextStart}url goes here{TextEnd},put the space here after the comma{TextStart}displayed text goes here{TextEnd}

If you forget the space, or put the space inside the {TextStart}{TextEnd} wrappers, you can get weird results, so put it outside of the wrappers in the build string action. You can reference variables or item properties inside the wrappers just fine, Build String just pastes them in.