I've created a mini-service desk application in SharePoint 2013 with Nintex Workflow 2013. One of the workflows parses the subject of an incoming email to look for a ticket number, and if it finds a ticket number, updates the ticket number field automatically. I can get this workflow to trigger when an item is modified, but I can't get it to trigger when an item is created.
After searching these boards, I discovered that this is by design. Workflows won't execute automatically on a system-created item.
My next step was to create a site workflow to do the same thing. So far, I've been unsuccessful, which I assume is because I've never worked with collection variables before. Here's what I'm doing:
- Query list for any items where the ticket number field is blank and store those items' ID numbers in a collection variable
- For each item in that collection variable, store the ID in a single line of text variable
- Query list for an item that matches the ID variable and store the Email Subject in a single line of text variable
- RegEx that variable to extract the ticket number, store that ticket number in a collection variable
- Collection operation to get the ticket number out of the collection and store in a single line of text variable
- Update Item where the ID matches the previously store single line of text variable, changing the ticket number field to the ticket number variable
Any idea where I could be going wrong here? I'd appreciate a solution to the first problem, if there is one, because that's cleaner, but I'm open to using the site workflow on a regular schedule if I have to do that.
Best answer by PyaeView original