Solved

Cancel Workflow from a deleted site

• 22 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

We have a on-premises Sharepoint infrastructure with Nintex.

In the nintex reports, displaying the workflows in progress, I have some workflows regarding deleted items. In this case, NWAdmin.exe with the options SyncTerminatedWorkflows and terminatedeleteditems solves the problem. But we have to indicate the site collection.

I still have workflow in progress and when I click on it, it says “file not found”. I think that those are worklows related to delete sites. How can I cancel those workflows ? Because I can not indicate the site url, because it doesn’t exist anymore and I event don’t know its name.

Thank you for your help,

Pascal

icon

Best answer by Pbech 6 July 2023, 08:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Pbech

Will have to purge the workflows from the dbs. 

see this kb.

https://help.nintex.com/en-us/nintex2016/current/sp2016/DatabaseDesign/WorkflowDataMaintenance.htm

Jake

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Pbech 

The workflows themselves are not actually running.  They appear in Nintex Reporting as the database is updated as workflows are run. When a site collection is deleted, the database is not updated so the workflows continue to be reported.  As @Jake advised, purging the database of these workflows may remove them from the report.

Badge +1

Hi @Jake and @SimonMuntz,

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for the delay, but friday was not a working day in my country.
I knew that the workflows were not running, but in the reports, it’s a big “pollution” to identify correctly the running workflows…

I will check for the purge in the link. I received scripts from a colleague to execute the purge regularly (really : Nintex does not have something automatic, we have to make ourself scripts to do the job ?!? What is this for a product ?). But the link indicates “Caution: When purging workflow data, purge the workflow history list before purging historic data. If you purge historic data first, then the workflow history list items cannot be purged.”. So I’m not sure that my colleague did not purge the historic data before the workflow history. But in this case, apparently, nothing can be done… That’s a pity. Is there a way to check if historic data was purged before workflow history list ?

Best regards,

Pascal

Badge +1

Hello,

So I used NWAdmin with the parameters : 

1 : -o purgeWorkFlowData -DeletedSites

2 : for all site collections : -o PurgeHistoryListData -state all -deletedlists

3 : for all site collections : -o purgeWorkFlowData -state all -deletedlists

4 : for all site collections : -o PurgehistoryListData

5 : for all site collections : -o purgeWorkFlowData -lastactiviybeforeutc

But I still have old worflow in progress (2019) and when I click on the workflow name, I receive the message “Sorry, something went wrong” “File not found.”

Analyzing the logs with the correlation id, it says indeed that the list does not exist, but also the it can not find the Site with a specific ID.

How can I change the status of those workflows ?

Best regards,

Pascal

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Pbech ,

I have looked into how Nintex workflow reporting works.

A database view is called to extract the information.

I looked into the View’s script and it gets its data from the workflowProgress tables in the Nintex Workflow database(s).

If the NWAdmin tool is not removing records for the Site or list ID specified I suggest looking at the workflowProgress table and see if the ID’s exist.  Note that you may have multiple Nintex Databases and the workflow history could be in any one of them.
If you find the ID’s you can just use SQL script to delete all records with that ID.

Badge +1

Hi @SimonMuntz,

Thank you for the answer.

Regarding “If the NWAdmin tool is not removing records for the Site or list ID specified”, I think that the workflows in progress are related to a deleted site (and was not removed by the operation with  -o purgeWorkFlowData -DeletedSites).

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I analyze the Nintex Dbs, understand how it works (a kind of retro-engineering) and built script to delete the entries.

1 : if I understood correctly, the NWAdmin does not delete entries, it changes the status of the workflows (even if it would be better to delete those entries)

2 : Maybe I did not say it, but I’m not a developer at Nintex. I’m a client. I won’t touch DB developed by Nintex, it’s the easiest way to have major problems on an application and get no support of the company (even if the support from Nintex does not seem to be very efficient.

If I do not understand correctly, can you clarify ? 

Thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @Pbech ,

Yes I am suggesting that you update the database by either deleting the rows in the database or updating the status to completed (state =4).

Please be advised that this forum is not the official channel for support and that is why it may not seem efficient.  Please contact Support@nintex.com or open a case in the customer portal to access the official support channel.

Badge +1

Hi @SimonMuntz,

Thank you for your answer.

I hope I was not rude with my answer, that was not my purpose. As you can see I’m a “rookie”. So, I don’t know very well the difference between the forum (where a Nintex employee answered me and a Community Manager) and the support. Especially when the support is giving some links to the forum (last time we opened a case) !

I will open a case for this to have an official answer.

Best regards,

Pascal