Solved

Replace Email Domain in Nintex Form Variable

• 25 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I'm working in the New Responsive Designer in Nintex Forms for O365. I'm using a People Picker control to select an employee. Then I have created a form variable utilizing the userProfileLookup function to get the user's email (ex. username@company.com). Works fine.

Now I need to create another form variable that removes the "@company.com" from the email and only has the "username" part stored in the variable.  Not having any luck so far. Any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by bamaeric 25 October 2022, 20:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I was able to figure this scenario out and answer my own question. I actually went a different route and used a People Picker field to get the Employee username to use in the form. I thought I would share how to do this in case someone else needs to do the same thing in a form.

1. Add a People Picker control to the form (Name = Employee).

• The Employee control returns a value like:
      i:0#.f|membership|mjones@company.com;#Jones, Mike

2. Create and configure a form variable.

• Name = txtEmployeeUsernameOnly

• Type = Text

• Value =
      replace(replace([Form].[Employee], "i:0#.f\|membership\|", ""), "@([(.)(#)(,)(;)\s\w]+)", "")

3. This formula yields only the user name ("mjones") and stores it in the variable.

4. You can add the form variable inside a Label control to see the value after you pick a user in the Employee field.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@bamaeric ,

Hi! Ok, so I have come across this same issue as above and cannot for the life of me fix it! So I applied your steps but I’m coming across error… could you assist?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@jpacheco I swear the formula I used before worked. Try the formula below instead.

replace(replace([Form].[Employee],"i:0#.f[|]membership[|]",""),"@(?<=@).*","")

This will return the user name part of the email address before the @.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@bamaeric ,

Man, you’re a genius and thanks so much, it worked!! But just one more question...is there a way to remove the period between the first and last name or?

You rock! Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@bamaeric ,

Sorry, I forgot to add a screen shot… but currently the output is like you say the username part just before the @. So in my case the output is like so below…

Is there a way to capture the name at the very end like in the screen shot below (underlined)?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

To replace the period in the string with a space, I would first create another form variable. Then use the previous variable you configured to get the username in this formula:

replace([Form].[txtUsername],"[.]"," ")

To get the name at the end of the string, you can use this formula:

replace([Form].[Employee],"(^.*?(?=;#);#)","")

This will return all the characters after the ;# pattern.

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@bamaeric ,

You are a rockstar and thanks for the explanation! I see where I went wrong 🙏🏼 thank you!