Skip to main content

Hi!

I would like to add a "Today date" column to be able to show a deviation between the deadline of a task and today date. This should be refreshed daily to be able to monitor our system, but I couldn't find a solution so far. As I know Today]function isn't refreshing and cannot be used by calculated columns so I started a workflow with adding the following functions and updating the list item I created but I don't know how to repeat the workflow exactly to be able to refresh daily:

201220_pastedImage_1.png

Thank you in advance!

You should use the set variable action‌ and there you can set your "Date/Time" variable to "Date when action is executed". That way you can obtain the current date:

Regards,

Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

I already tried to use this function but how can I make it sure that the date will be refreshed everyday without modifying the form which makes the workflow running?

I don't know how your workflow is constructed. If it is ran once, when the item is created/ modified then you have no option to update value daily.

To achieve what you are talking about you should use site workflow. Unfortunately there is no "scheduling" yet for O365 Site Workflows (so you cannot schedule it to run once a day), but you can create a site workflow with a loop and pause action (pause for 1 day). That way you will have always running workflow, executing its actions only once a day.

Regards,

Tomasz

BTW - Tibor Csaba there is also 3rd party workflow scheduler solution from Plumsail that enables scheduled workflows in Office 365.  I haven't used it myself, but I hear it works well with Nintex and its costs $199/year.  Here's a thread with some reviews: Anyone using Plumsail to schedule workflows? 

Thanks for all of your comments! Unfortunately we don't have the site workflow feature currently, so I had to solve otherwise. I will check this Plumsail add-on later because it sounds interesting.

Anyway I could solve the issue with the following steps:

1. With the "Add time to date" function I set "0" for days, hours, minutes to add to the creation date and save the result as a "Today date" variable.

2. After it I update "Today date" column with this value.

3. I pause the workflow until 1 day.

4. A loop starts with the condition the action hasn't been completed yét.

5. I add 1 day to the "Today date" with the "Add time to date" function.

6. I update "Today date" column.

7. Workflow pauses for 1 day.

It is impossible not to have Site Workflows. They are available here (Site Contents --> Nintex Workflow for Office 365):

After you click it you will enter workflow gallery for site workflows. To trigger you must go to: https:/[tenant-name].sharepoint.com/[...]/_layouts/15/workflow.aspx.

Regards,

Tomasz