Limiting Drop Down List Choices In A Field

• 8 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to limit drop down list choices in a field?  Below is a screenshot example:

25020i3D906D602F4A4420.png

As you can see in the example, I'm able to select AFS, CORP & FRAP within the selection box.  This list is tied to the Nintex List.  Is there a way for me to write a Rule which limits the selection to AFS?

Thank you for your thoughts and time.

6 replies

Could you clarify "This list is tied to the Nintex List" please?
If it is a list lookup ,you can filter it using Substring() function.
But, if it is a dropdown list, you need to delete all other choices which you don't want to see.

Hi @Pasaribu,

Thanks for the response.  It's a List Lookup.  Would you have a video to watch or Substring () language that you could show me?

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Underdog 

You can specify a View for the List

In your SPO List, create a new View. create a filter for the View and save the view.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

To filter your list, you will need another column e.g. Type. 

Switch to your new View (I'm using a view called "Test") then Edit the View

Set the Filter

Type - is equal to - "AFS". Scroll to top/bottom, click OK.

Test by switching the View. All Items - Test - All Items - Test

Return back to your form, add the View.

FYI, this is one possible method. 

Cheers

Hi @Garrett 

Thank you for the response.  I believe I'm pretty close to setting up your suggestion.  Would you know if one "List" column can reference another "List" column, or do I need to copy & paste into the new column?  For instance, the "List" column "Problem Owners Team" with "AFS", CORP, FRAP, etc. .. has the information I want in it.  I'd like to set up four additional columns ("Type - AFS", "Type - CORP", "Type - FRAP" & "Type - NF") to reference the "Problem Owners Team" column.

Your thoughts?

Example:

Column 1                             Column 2

"Problem Owners Team"     "Type - AFS"

"AFS - Digital Workforce Mgmt"  "BLANK (would like to reference AFS - Digital .. .. .."

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Underdog 

I think that that a single column should do the trick - "TYPE" column (feel free to change the column name). And the value in that column can be "AFS", "CORP", "FRAP" and "NF".

If you wanted to use them in the filter, you would need to create the other views. 

- Create View for "CORP", Filter is <Column "TYPE"> is equal to - "CORP"

You also can go ahead with your 4 columns method as perhaps you have other requirements or usage purposes which you didn't mentioned.

Cheers