Solved

How to loop "Start a process task"?

• 5 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi,

I have a workflow that sends tasks to 3 people (start a task process) and the options that are available when the the 3 receive are “ Accept” and “Reassign”.

I want to be able to restart the task process if someone chose the reassign task…

I tried using the loop w/ condition and stuck the “Start a task process” in it but the “Start a task process” doesn’t execute. The loop w/ condition is “ If Reassign Task is selected”, but I believe this means the “Start a task process: won’t execute until “Reassign Task” is chosen..

I don’t think I’m using this correctly…help?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jake 6 June 2023, 17:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jpacheco 

A better design pattern is to use the State Machine design.

A State Machine allows for the process to flow forward, backwards or begin from the start.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Solution/StateMachine/AutomateDocumentApprovals-Solution.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

State Machine - Example of Workflow which can go forward or backwards depending upon the Approval. An approval at Step 4 will exit the State Machine and process will continue at the next action below. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@Garrett ,

I had this setup as well but my issue was with the cancelation notification, it was confusing the end users. I’m assuming the only way to manage that is change the text???

The first “start a task process” responds to the “first response”, whether that be accept or reassign. If reassigned, it will startup another “Start a task process” and again, wait for the first response (accept or reject). Is there any way to manage the cancelation notification? Or am I just going to have to change the text?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jpacheco 

How did you configure your Assign Task?
- Wait for all responses
- Wait for first response

If you are using Wait for first response - the other assignees will get the Task Cancelled message. 
I guess you could change the message but I recommend that you educate the Users too.
Once they understand that someone in their group has responded to the Task Assign, the rest will see the cancel Task message.

PS: I can’t read your code at you didn’t change the label for the “Set Next State” action

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@Garrett ,

Sorry about that.. I took another screen shot to display what the “next state” does, it’s still a work in progress. I have the “Start a task process” set to Wait for first response”.

I will def update the message to something that makes a bit more sense and inform the end users. Thnx!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jpacheco 

You can re-use a task branch if you jump out of the branch and back in, you can set this up by simply having a branch for re-assignment and holding the new assignee in a variable.

If you wanted you can even make it completely dynamic using the logic engine method explained here: 

But for your case you can re-use a task by building the workflow state machine like this, if you want an import please let me know:

The best way to explain this is we need to trick the state machine into re-entering the same task branch, we cannot ask the state machine to go to the current branch inside said branch, so we store the branch name in a variable called current step and go to a new branch called Re-assign

Inside the re-assign branch it is a simple change stage action to go back to the variable we stored.

because we stored the current stage to the variable current step it will go back to whichever task branch called the re-assign.

Thus it will restart that task.

We can improve this by storing also the new-assignee in the assignee variable but I left this out as to not confuse the solution.