Question

Auto-populate a field based off another field selection

• 15 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hello,

I need to auto-populate a field based off another field selection and can’t seem to get the syntax right. I am using an external list where I will need to compare my selection to…

This is the form where the user will first select the “Organization” (Angola in this case).

Form

Then, below is the external list I need to compare the “Organization” selection to The “Title”.

External List

If the selection from the “Organization” field is Angola, then I need for the title of “ANG Books” to populate the field below (Set of Books)…

Form

My current syntax is:
lookup("_SetOfBooks","Organization",parseLookup([Form].[Title]),"Title")

lookup(“External List name”, Column in external list name named “Organization”,parseLookup(Title column in external list), Title column in external list

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @jpacheco 

Form Platform → ? (Nintex O365 - New Responsive form?)
SP Platform → ? (SPO?)

1. Why don’t you make a copy of the external List to your SP site?
    Then you can make use of “cascading lookup” dropdowns.
Userlevel 1
Badge +9

@Garrett ,

Thanks for your response! So my issue is that my current control (in nintex O365 forms) that uses an external list (that lives in SharePoint Online) will be replaced with web request control that will be pulling from oracle. The original control pulling from the external list will remain but will be made hidden... I just need to find some way to compare the two controls by selecting from the “new web request control” and try to auto-populate the “old control” (control to be made hidden). I thought maybe I could use a lookup to do that .🤷🏻‍♀️

Gosh I hope that makes sense… sorry!

Thanks!