Solved

"Add item to Collection" action - what's the difference between "Target Collection" and "Output"?

Badge +4

I'm working on migrating existing workflows to O365, and I need to replace all the existing Collection actions.

For the new "Add Item to Collection" action, there are separate mandatory parameters "Target Collection" and "Output."  Since I'm adding an item to a collection that already exists, I don't understand why I would need to specify more than one collection.  

Add item to collection (nintex.com)

Field

Description

Target collection

Collection variable that you want to add the item to.

Select from the drop-down list or create a new variable.

Index

Index (location or counter) of the item to add.

If the index value specified is larger than the size of the collection, then the item is added to the end of the collection.

Value

Value associated with the item.

Output Collection variable to store the collection with the added item.
icon

Best answer by Garrett 9 July 2022, 02:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @ab50439 

For the "Add Item to Collection" action, you can use the same collection variable as the output. So you can either store the new result into the same collection or a new collection (to preserve the original collection)

e.g. you want to Add "Apple" to the beginning of the collection "FRUITS

Target collection:  FRUITS
Index:  0
Value:  "Apple"
Output:  FRUITS

You can refer to this video Nintex Workflow for Office 365 - Collection Operations 

Hopes that helps

Badge +4

Thank you.  Based on the way the documentation is written, it wasn't clear to me that the original wouldn't be altered.