Skip to main content

We have an environment with 4.7 workflows that we've upgraded to Five. We use the Visual Studio plugin to maintain those workflows. We are aware that we have to install the 4.7 client tools first and upgrade them to Five to maintain those workflows if we have a new client machine.

Is that true for the server? If we want to install an entirely fresh new K2 Five environment and deploy our apps to it, do we have to start with 4.7 and upgrade that to 5.2?

Another way of asking the question: could we do a fresh install of Five and point it to our upgraded 4.7 to 5.2 database and expect the legacy workflows to work?

Yes, it is true that the server needs to follow the same installation pattern to have support for workflow processes designed in Visual Studio for 4.7.

Good day dustinaleksiuk

It is always better to upgrade for problems will arise if you point a new k2 to older items. In short, when upgrading you upgrade all the dll file versions and the upgrade is done in a way to make sure dependencies is kept.
Conclusion: It is better to upgrade a working environment than do a fresh install.

If this post or the above posts answer your question please remember to mark them as a solution.

Thank you
Regards
Jacques.

Thanks for that.

I additionally found some vague reference to this in the FAQ section of this document, but it doens't reference this scenario directly. It talks more about the designer: https://help.k2.com/kb002045

Our 4.7 to 5.2 (and then 5.3) upgrade is a bit of a nightmare because I'm in a huge company and we're not very nimble with our infrastructure. It's helpful for me to have definitive answers from K2 so that we can plan but definitive answers are hard to find. Thanks though, I'll take what I can get.