Skip to main content

Looking for what the difference is between the set and populated events of the picker control in 4.6.11/4.7, and the order of events in the lifecycle of the control (for example, I understand the populated event occurs when resolving is completed, but I don't know where set fits in).

Thanks and best,

Tony

Good day Tonyfarre11

The differences between the set and populated trigger events has been explained in the following community article. This articles also touches some other trigger events. Please see the article below:

View/Forms Rules Trigger Events Definition

Should you feel that this post is of use and or an accurate solution to the raised question, I kindly encourage you to mark it as such using the 'Mark as Solution', 'Kudo' andor ‘Me Too’ options.

Kind Regards

Raymond

Thank you for your reply, Raymond.

I appreciate that you referred me to a previous response, but I admit I found it somewhat confusing. I think the gist was that Set is essentially the same thing as Changed (fires at about the same time, I suppose), and is also the equivalent of Populated in controls which are not lists.

It seems weird to me then that the picker would have both the Set and Populated events. So I'm looking for more information about these events in that context.

Thanks again,

Tony

Hi Tonyfarre

Thank you for the prompt feedback. I believe the following rundown should answer your questions, the rundown is as follows:

When [control] is Changed: You can execute a rule condition or action when the control is changed

Example: When TextBox101 is changed

Then show a message

Explained: This will show a message when the TextBox101 recieves a value or when the value is being removed from the control.

When [control] is Initializing: You can execute a rule condition or action when the view or form is loading

Example: When View101 is initializing

Then transfer data

Explained: This work the same as a viewforms initialize, it will show a message when the Picker101 control is initailized (I did however notice that this specific rule does not work for which I have logged a support ticket so it can be logged accordingly and resolved). 

When [control] is Populated: You can execute a rule condition or action when the control is populated

Example: When Picker101 is populated

Then show a message

Explained: This will show a message when the Picker101 performed a load data action to resolve or retieve data from the connected smartobject.

When [control] is Resolving: You can execute a rule condition or action when the control requests data

Example: When Picker101 is resolving

Then show a message

Explained: This will show a message when the Picker101 attempts to resolvediscover the value provided as a input or when attempting to retieve data from the connected smartobject.

When [control] is Set: You can execute a rule condition or action when the control is set

Example: When Picker101 is set

Then transfer data

Explained: This will show a message when the Picker101 recieves a value as input - this input is not a user input but instead a automated input. For Example if you were to pass a value to the picker control using a transfer data rule, that will trigger the Pickers Set rule. However if you type the value in manually that will not trigger the Picker control Set rule which is as per design. 

Referencing documentation based on version.

K2 Five:

K2 Five User Guide - Picker Control

Older versions:

K2 Smartforms Product - Picker Control

Should you feel that this post is of use and or an accurate solution to the raised question, I kindly encourage you to mark it as such using the 'Mark as Solution', 'Kudo' andor ‘Me Too’ options.

Kind Regards

Raymond